Esteemed Contributor

I have seen a few of those however do not know how they have worked out.  They had mostly canned goods.  People would take what they needed and others would add to it when they could. 

Someday, when scientists discover the center of the Universe....some people will be disappointed it is not them.
Trusted Contributor

My alma mater (university) has one on the edge of campus.  I donate frequently to it and usually stock it with mac-n-cheese cups, ramen cups, etc.  I live in the heart of the USA so extreme temperatures come into play.  When the temperatures are moderate, I donate other items like protein bars, etc.  

Honored Contributor

At least I'm not the only one that sees flaws. Only one person at our food pantry sees the name of the applicants. After that, they are just given a number when they visit. Our neighborhood doesn't even have sidewalks so it's mostly people walking their dogs. I'd much rather continue donating food at church that is then taken to the larger food pantry. I guess we'll just wait and see if these boxes are used.

Honored Contributor

Working at a pantry I will say, you have to be very careful about donations. I am sorry to say, we live in a world where food has been tampered with..

Everything we distribute is safe and wholesome. Even if the donors have the best intentions in the world, some sick person could come by ,and slip something in, that no one knows about

I have never seen anyone that was turned away from a food pantry or felt they were being stigmatized by the volunteers

Honored Contributor

@cherry wrote:

I have never seen anyone that was turned away from a food pantry or felt they were being stigmatized by the volunteers.

Not stigmatized by the volunteers, but I have heard people say that they felt judged by others who saw them at the pantry.

Honored Contributor

@RetRN wrote:

@cherry wrote:

I have never seen anyone that was turned away from a food pantry or felt they were being stigmatized by the volunteers.

Not stigmatized by the volunteers, but I have heard people say that they felt judged by others who saw them at the pantry.

Our township food pantry is set up so that the people dropping off donations at the front door do not see the people picking up at the back door.

Honored Contributor

All school lunches are now free, food pantries give stuff away free to college students--no questions ask.

I have a question:  When everything is free who will pay for it?  

Honored Contributor

Re: Little Free Pantry

[ Edited ]

This is stuff the stores throw away. They give it to us before it's sell by date expires It is food that would have ended up in the dump, at some point..Today we had Girl Scout cookies to distribute, along with canned goods, fresh produce ,and staples  and meat

Honored Contributor

Re: Little Free Pantry

[ Edited ]

@Sooner wrote:

All school lunches are now free, food pantries give stuff away free to college students--no questions ask.

I have a question:  When everything is free who will pay for it?  

-------

@Sooner 

The man setting it up will ask for food donations in a church newsletter. He didn't ask for cash to buy food. As someone else mentioned, this is in line with those little libraries people set up on the sidewalk. His biggest reason is that this is anonymous because he thinks people are too proud to go to a food pantry. Ours is well run and workers keep it confidential so I think he should join in with the existing pantry.

Honored Contributor

Wouldn't this food, kept outside, tend to attract rodents and larger animas like raccoons, possums, even stray dogs?  Any bears where you live?

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment