Honored Contributor

This little Orca guy is so cute.  Practicing his jumps.New born Orcas have an orange coloring on their faces.  But it disappears when they are 3 months old.  So this guy is about 6 months or so old.  You know they are the top predators in the seas, so Orca Moms let them swim around on their own when quite young. Most sea life (yes...all those sharks included) are deathly afraid of them.

r/orcas - other baby orca

Honored Contributor

@songbird 

Awww so cute! Heart

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Honored Contributor

@Spurt wrote:

@songbird 

Awww so cute! Heart

This one is really cute looking.  Not sure of the sex of the baby.  We won't know until it's much older. You can tell by the underside of the animal.  You can tell the sex right away by the dorsal fin.  The curved ones are female, the straight tall ones are male.  But baby orcas all have the curved fin that won't develop till they are older. 

Esteemed Contributor

So adorable 🥰❤️

Valued Contributor

what a truly beautiful creature! Thank you for sharing! 

Respected Contributor

Thanks for that information @songbird.  I didn't know they were born with an orange coloring on their face.  I did see a program on National Geographic of a momma orca teaching her baby how to swim in a certain pattern.  It was really fascinating to see.  

* Freedom has a taste the protected will never know *
Honored Contributor

Awwwww.  What a little sweetheart.

Honored Contributor

@pitdakota wrote:

Thanks for that information @songbird.  I didn't know they were born with an orange coloring on their face.  I did see a program on National Geographic of a momma orca teaching her baby how to swim in a certain pattern.  It was really fascinating to see.  

They're blood vessels.  But on the Orca, it looks more orange then pink.  It gradually disappears.  Heres one

Why is this baby orca orange? | Article | Kids News

Honored Contributor

Re: Little Cutie

[ Edited ]

More pics of the little one

Official July census of orcas: 81 whales, including 4 baby orcas born since  winter

August | 2015 | Voice For The Blue

Esteemed Contributor

So cute, I do believe he knows he is special.