Respected Contributor

Re: List of major events not happening due to virus concerns

@Mominohio   Yes, in my case (NE Ohio college), it's all about possible lawsuits if a student returns from spring break with the virus.  They are covering their butts by moving all classes to online.  (Of course we still have to come to work unless we're sick.)

Laura loves cats!
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

friends of mine go to CONEXPO in las vegas. it began yesterday and goes through saturday. it is held every three years. only about 6 or 7 major companies pulled out.  it is a HUGE convention for the construction industry and often includes many international visitors/vendors. they still went......not sure i would have. there are usually well over 100000 in attendance.

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Honored Contributor

As I read today, not only would persisting and going ahead with an event -- despite the warning of risk to health -- invite possible financial ruin, but, in the words of a corporate head (I am trying to remember the wording), "If things went wrong, we would be regarded as money-grubbing scumbags."

The "money-grubbing scumbags" description stuck with me.

Respected Contributor

Cities are banning events that draw large crowds, anyway, so if not already canceled, they stand a good chance of being shut down later.

Honored Contributor

NYC St Patrick's Day Parade canceled.
You Don't Own Me- Leslie Gore
(You don't Know) How Glad I Am- Nancy Wilson
Esteemed Contributor

@proudlyfromNJ wrote:

Boston’s St. Patrick’s parade cancelled.

@proudlyfromNJ  I think the NY St Pattys day parade is still on.  DeBlasio is waiting till the last minute I guess.  

Honored Contributor

@Snoopp wrote:

@proudlyfromNJ wrote:

Boston’s St. Patrick’s parade cancelled.

@proudlyfromNJ  I think the NY St Pattys day parade is still on.  DeBlasio is waiting till the last minute I guess.  

@Snoopp  Oh, ok.Good to hear. I was posting about the Boston one though.

Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

NYC St Patrick's day parade is cancelled and no fans at the NCAA men's and woman's   Championships.     ( March Madness)

Honored Contributor

Today the New Mexico governor cancelled the Gathering of Nations Pow-Wow, the world's largest gathering of indigenous people, held every April in Albuquerque.  Also cancelled a number of other large events in the state.  Between that and the tumble in oil prices, our economy is really going to suffer.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

@Kachina624 wrote:

Today the New Mexico governor cancelled the Gathering of Nations Pow-Wow, the world's largest gathering of indigenous people, held every April in Albuquerque.  Also cancelled a number of other large events in the state.  Between that and the tumble in oil prices, our economy is really going to suffer.

I know people who go to that each year. There's an entire craft and jewelry infrastructure of people who rely on such gatherings for the roofs over their heads. I'm concerned about how they are going to fare. Not all of them can just sell things online. I'm not sure what's going to happen to them. Woman Sad

When you’re accustomed to privilege, equality feels like oppression.
"Power without love is reckless and abusive, and love without power is sentimental and anemic." - Dr. Martin Luther King Jr