Respected Contributor

Im a Gen Xer I have 1 child thats a Millenial and 2 children who are Gen Z's

Sleep sweet Bo 3/19/08 8/4/18
Trusted Contributor

@Imaoldhippie wrote:

My generation,( The Silent Generation) was told children should be seen and not heard.  

——-

Did they have a lot of kids with self esteem issues🧐

Trusted Contributor

@luvmybeetle wrote:

@Imaoldhippie wrote:

My generation,( The Silent Generation) was told children should be seen and not heard.  

That's exactly right.  And we were children of war.  Those people were used to keeping secrets and not speaking up to our parents also.  That's when people taught respect to their children.  My mother used to work in the Navy Dept. at her company and made parts for the war machines.  But, I was never NOT HEARD.  I was always, from childhood, a mouthy person.  So I guess I missed the Silent part.

—-      ——.  

Sadly I don’t think a lot of kids respected their Parents as much as they feared them!  Oh the power of being  an adult and knowing, you can make your 8 yr old Son and 5 Yr old Daughter, afraid of you! 

Good old Dad and his belt buckle out in the woodshed! Gotta teach respect!  And maybe, Dad passed that fine belt and buckle, on to his Son, so that fine tradition could continue! 

My Parent’s never laid a finger on any of us and we respected them enormously. 

Honored Contributor

BBG

Esteemed Contributor

@Chicagosuburbangirl wrote:

Gen X.

Jaded and aloof.

Overpowered by boomers and millennials, but I'm not bitter.

I’m a little bitter.  Especially when ideas I had at work were implemented years later because the millenials wanted them.

I remember watching an old Law & Order episode and someone complained about the Gen X’ers and their fancy coffees just like how the millennials are referenced today.  Just made me laugh because I’m so used to hearing it now about millenials that I didn’t realize/forgot I was ever thought of the same way!

Honored Contributor

Re: List of Generations

[ Edited ]

Oh, my goodness, what a timely post!

For all you Boomers out there, sit down and pay close attention.  Many of you may feel as I do: Something is amiss.  Something just doesn't add up.  Something just doesn't... feel right.

And you're not wrong.

See, my siblings were born in the late '40s and early '50s.  They are definitely Boomers.  I, however, the wanted and planned child, arrived in late 1959.  So I get labeled a Boomer?  Excuse me?

And I know "Boomers" who came after me.  Sorry, but we are a whole nuther species.

And, no, we're not Early Gen X.  I live with an X and we're not that at all.  Are you sitting?  Because this is huge.  Life-changing.  It will suddenly all make perfect sense to you.

Were you born during the period of 1955 to 1964?

If so, you are Generation Jones -- a Joneser -- and you have Jonathan Pontell to thank.

Yes, it was Mr. Pontell who, like many of us, felt no connection to our Boomer brethren.  How could we be the same generation yet be so different?  Our life experiences so far from similar?

It's not just a case of Early Boomers and Late Boomers.  Google Generation Jones and do a little research.  I guarantee you will stand up and scream: AT LAST!  AT LAST!  IT ALL MAKES SENSE!!!

ETA:

Some sources are 1954 to 1964; others are 1954 to 1965 or 1955 to 1964.  Doesn't matter.  You know who you are.

~My philosophy: Dogs are God's most perfect creatures. Angels, here on Earth, who teach us to be better human beings.~
Honored Contributor

@sunshine45 wrote:

it seems like the "silent generation" were considered pacifists instead of activists. it seems like they wanted to generally wanted to work and be left alone. they were scared to speak out about anything.

@sunshine45,

That would be "my generation(?)", I guess!  But me and silent? Do not belong in the same sentence.

hckynut(john)

hckynut(john)
Honored Contributor

@hckynut wrote:

@sunshine45 wrote:

it seems like the "silent generation" were considered pacifists instead of activists. it seems like they wanted to generally wanted to work and be left alone. they were scared to speak out about anything.

@sunshine45,

That would be "my generation(?)", I guess!  But me and silent? Do not belong in the same sentence.

hckynut(john)

oh i have no doubt that there were exceptions during that period of time @hckynut. Smiley Wink

i do and did see members of my family, including my mother, who did not want to "rock the boat" while they were living during that period. the description fits some of them to a T. the family really stuck together and didnt talk about their woes......and they helped each other out as much as they could. they all even lived in generally the same area of the city.....and were within walking distance from each other.

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Respected Contributor

Generational identification is interesting but to me it is moreso for the tribal aspect, that people feel joined together for the shared experiences of specific years and can have deeper feelings of belonging to something labeled for the ages. 

If all of the thinking about it evaporated, would people feel like leaves in the winds of time?  Untethered? 

Just me thinking existentially.

Honored Contributor

GenX.