Respected Contributor

Re: Less meat in package than stated on label

4. Net Weight or Quantity – The net weight is presented to
provide the consumer with an idea of how much of a product
they are purchasing. The actual weight of the product may deviate some from what’s stated on the label due to evaporation
of moisture or variability in the weights of packaging materials.
But, the deviation, or variation, from the stated weight must be
within an approved range.

from the link posted

also  variability in the weights of packaging materials would mean the weight of the tare which is the container

Super Contributor

@lovescats wrote:

4. Net Weight or Quantity – The net weight is presented to
provide the consumer with an idea of how much of a product
they are purchasing. The actual weight of the product may deviate some from what’s stated on the label due to evaporation
of moisture or variability in the weights of packaging materials.
But, the deviation, or variation, from the stated weight must be
within an approved range.

from the link posted

also  variability in the weights of packaging materials would mean the weight of the tare which is the container

Okey dokey...so, in essence, what they're saying is good luck getting a pound of meat when it says 1 pound on the label?  whatever emoji.jpg  I get it though.  It's just that it seems so unnecessarily complex.  (And yet vague at the same time, if that's possible!)

I think I've beaten this dead horse long enough (no pun intended).  Thanks all for putting up with my rant!

Man plans. God laughs.
Honored Contributor

Products have been getting smaller, price going up, with pkg or box appearing the same. Buyer beware. The bag of coffee DH likes was 16 oz a couple of years ago. Then it dropped to 12 oz and the price went up. Bought some last week and the bag now says 10.5 oz. same for cake mixes, etc.
Highlighted
Honored Contributor

@caroln242 Have you checked the weight of a "pound" after it has been frozen and water comes out as it thaws?

You could also cook several pounds and weigh how much meat is left after it is cooked and fat and water come out, how much also would drain out on a paper towel?  I think that is where the biggest weight difference might be found when all is said and done.

How much a pound do you pay for a pound of very lean, or for 80/20 etc after you account for that and figure out how much meat is really there.  

Esteemed Contributor

I know nothing about your scale, but I'm wondering if it might be a bit "off". It reminds me of my own monitor for checking my blood pressure. When I took mine with me to my doctor's office, it was not matching the ones in his office. I decided to trust his monitors rather than mine. It's possible that different scales may be callibrated differently. A 1 1/4 oz difference is not very much and I don't think it's enough to say that your grocer is cheating you. JMO.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Most grocery stores have a butcher case. Buy your hamburger meat there and watch the butcher put it on the scale and see the weight it shows. Easy-leash, plus most of the time the meat is about the same price and seems better quality than what is prepackaged. Meat isn't the only product consumers are being shorted on. Check the ounces on many products now and you will find the net weight stated as a few ounces less than in the past, even though the price has increased.