Respected Contributor

I'm giving up my lifetime of Catholicism.

AH, who am I kidding, 7 years of Catholic grade school never REALLY goes away. Woman LOL

I'm thinking...

Denise
Respected Contributor

@VegasBusinessWoman: I think that's a wonderful idea! Smiley Happy 

Trusted Contributor

Still under consideration.  I suspect it is going to be diet coke and something else.

Giving something up and working to be a better person are not mutually exclusive.  

The four pillars of Lent are Prayer, Abstinence, Fasting and Almsgiving.  With regard to giving something up; one idea is to put the money which you would have spent on what one is giving up towards a Charity.  (For example, you see this awesome pair of shoes, but you really don't need them.  That money can be donated to your favorite charity.)

Do the math.
Honored Contributor

DH worked in a retirement community. Every year at Lent desserts would be given up (in the dining room with the meals). After the meals many would go to the ice cream parlor.

'cuz every girl's crazy 'bout a sharp dressed man
Esteemed Contributor

alcohol 

Trusted Contributor

@Mary Bailey wrote:

alcohol 

Very difficult to do that for me.   Maybe change from beloved Chardonnay to a red.  I know I will also give up PIE.

Honored Contributor

Giving up something to benefit yourself just doesn't seem to be the way it was intended.  Having gone 12 years to Catholic school, I was taught to do things like pray the rosary daily instead of tv watching or go out of the way to do good deeds so it would become a way of life in the future and make us a better person every day.  Giving something up like sweets because you want to loose weight or shopping because you will save yourself lots of money is self serving then on Sunday you shop and binge eat or drink if you give up wine.  The money saved should be given away to good causes.  Binging before and after lent on what was given up - well just means nothing! 

I used to be amused at all the loopholes people came up with for abstinence.  One women every year would snack on saltines all day to stretch her lunch out as only one meal and others would would overeat large  lunches and breakfasts so as not to get hungry between meals.   Then there were those who drank several milkshakes daily because it was drinking and not eating or the person who would stir cookies and donuts into her coffee so it was only a drink!  The way I remember it is that your 2 meals should not even equal the 3rd meal but never knew anyone who did that.  

I know that so many are actually thinking they are doing something great and have good intentions but...

Honored Contributor

Just like I don't do a New Year resolution, I don't do Lent give ups.

Valued Contributor

I am giving up on being nice to stupid ppl ... LoL

J/K - at my catholic school when the nuns went around the room asking everyone what they were giving up, there was always at least 12 smart@$$ who said s/he was giving up homework.

In all seriousness, I am trying to do another DT45 detox - no watching Anderson Cooper, Meet the Press, etc.  It's all just too much.

Valued Contributor

@denisemb wrote:

I'm giving up my lifetime of Catholicism.

AH, who am I kidding, 7 years of Catholic grade school never REALLY goes away. Woman LOL

I'm thinking...

I'm a recovering Catholic too (8 yrs for me, and then I attended public high school)!