Trusted Contributor

At this point in my dotage, there aren't many things that I could give up that would be much of a sacrifice, so I thought I would do something that would require a sacrifice on my part.  I'm thinking of offering help to groups who help God's creatures--buying sacks of pet food and bringing towels and blankets to the animal shelter; buying and donating food to a local church who feed and minister to the homeless; collect and donate clothes, diapers and the like to the shelter for battered women and maybe offer to help with benefit applications and resumes--things like that.  Instead of giving something up, doing something that requires sacrifice on my part is what I was thinking of for Lent this year.

What do you think?

Honored Contributor

@VegasBusinessWoman wrote:

At this point in my dotage, there aren't many things that I could give up that would be much of a sacrifice, so I thought I would do something that would require a sacrifice on my part.  I'm thinking of offering help to groups who help God's creatures--buying sacks of pet food and bringing towels and blankets to the animal shelter; buying and donating food to a local church who feed and minister to the homeless; collect and donate clothes, diapers and the like to the shelter for battered women and maybe offer to help with benefit applications and resumes--things like that.  Instead of giving something up, doing something that requires sacrifice on my part is what I was thinking of for Lent this year.

What do you think?

I think that's a good idea any time of the year.

" You are entitled to your opinion. But you are not entitled to your own facts."
Daniel Patrick Moynihan
Honored Contributor

@sabatini wrote:

@Irish1210 wrote:

I would like to work on being a better person ~ having more patience and showing kindness every day Heart

Nice.

My sister's pastor (who's awesome) is adamant that giving up a specific thing, then going back to it on Easter isn't what Lent is all about; that we ought to make positive changes in us that are lifelong.

As for me, I'm giving up wine & cigarettes. LOL!

Though I'll definitely try to be a better me.

It's one way of thinking of it, I think those positive changes should be an all year around goal.

" You are entitled to your opinion. But you are not entitled to your own facts."
Daniel Patrick Moynihan
Esteemed Contributor

Cut out the snacking that hubby and I do in the evenings....

We both have put on pounds this Winter.....

Honored Contributor

I add something rather than give up something....perhaps extra daily prayer, learn to look differently at something that bothers me,  go to Mass an extra day during the week, helping at a charity, smiling at and doing good things for others I encounter each day, and find ways to remember that life isn't all about me.  

Esteemed Contributor

Wine 🍷 

Trusted Contributor

Shoplc watching and buying

Picking on my husband

Extra fancy yogurt ice cream

Frequent Contributor

Yes!  Life isn't all about us.  This year when I give up something and do things for others I'm not going to think of myself.  Doing it out of love for Jesus and others.  Quietly.

Respected Contributor

I was taught that there were two parts to "giving up" something for Lent...to give up something not necessary, but that you enjoy (eating in restaurants, desserts, candy, etc.)...but also to use the money saved to help the poor.

I will be cutting back on junk food (being mindful of those who have so little to eat), and donating to a couple of trusted organizations who feed the hungry.

Respected Contributor

@QVCkitty1 wrote:

@VegasBusinessWoman wrote:

What do you think?

I think that's a good idea any time of the year.

@QVCkitty1 That is the goal....that by the time Lent is done, something inside us has changed and we live a bit differently going forward.  🌷