Highlighted
Honored Contributor

Re: Learning correct English

@YorkieonmyPillow wrote:

A person learns what is incorrect in the process of learning what is correct. That's how people learn things....

@YorkieonmyPillow, yes. But it's the method used that makes the difference. If you teach in a positive way, you encourage and even excite many to learn the right way to speak and write.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Esteemed Contributor

@suzyQ3 wrote:

@september wrote:

@suzyQ3   As I read your post, I realized I made a grammar error.  I said “none of us are perfect”.  

Then your post came up and you said “none of us is perfect”.  Yours is correct, and I knew that.  It’s just one of those things some of us imperfect people do, at times!  

@september, the old-school way is always to use a singular verb following a "none" phrase, but modern standards accept a plural verb if the if the word in the phrase is plural.

This means that since the word "us" is plural, your version is perfectly acceptable. :-)

@suzyQ3Subject/verb agreement appears to be a real challenge for people, especially those who get paid to talk...whether they are reading something (which would the fault of the writer, of course) or speaking "off the cuff."  

Keepin' it real.
Esteemed Contributor

@suzyQ3   Of course, that's just common sense, but the thread is about learning English, not how to teach it so no one gets upset.

Honored Contributor

@YorkieonmyPillow wrote:

@suzyQ3   Of course, that's just common sense, but the thread is about learning English, not how to teach it so no one gets upset.

I beg to differ, @YorkieonmyPillow .This thread is less about learning English than it is about criticizing those who lack a command of the language.

If it bothers people so much, then perhaps they should volunteer to help those who need it.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Honored Contributor

@nomless wrote:

Pook wrote: "Grammar rules were stricter ...because life was simpler." Um, no. Grammar rules have not changed. The rules aren't simpler now.  What perhaps has changed is that fewer people know them. Grammar also has nothing to do with "wanting things to stay the same."

Pook also wrote:  "should of, would of."  What you meant is: "should HAVE, would HAVE." You were writing a verb; the word "of" is not a verb.

Grammar matters because it reflects a lot about the person. If a person lacks basic grammar knowledge, well, that says somethinfg about that person.  JMO, of course.

Perhaps I'm an employer with two final candidates with equal skill sets except for grammar. One candidate speaks and writes with correct grammar. The other does not.  This person will present an image of my department, my company. Guess which candidte I will hire. Yes, gramnar matters.

It just might be possible that the one with excellent old style grammar might not be the best worker and is just trying to say what they think an old school person wants to hear and may not be very conscientous about their work - but they have "good grammar".    If I were hiring I would (unless hiring an English teacher) pick the one who seems more ambitous and has a great work history.  I know so many hard workers who might not adhere to the grammar rules that actually don't really matter in the modern world of technology.

I know that would of and should of are acceptable in this day and age.  And we all know what someone using that means and don't need to act so snobby about it!!!  Anyone who is constantly criticizing what is now acceptable in grammar and insists on constantly pointing it out is not showing how smart they are but how judgemental they are and how superior they think they are!!!

Regular Contributor

I 100% agree with you.  So sick of QVC bloggers who believe their opinion is always the correct one.  Good luck about being beaten up, as when I brought up the poor quality of QVC host's grammar, I was a villain and wrong and told nobody cares.  Hope you are treated with  the respect I was denied!!!  Lack of the word "the", "waiting on you" instead of "waiting for you" are just a few.  And don't get me going on the poor pronunciation, such as Amy "sode/sold; gode/gold; cawd/called; hunnerd/hundred".  So sad that we have sunk to this level of acceptance of the bastardization of the English language.

Honored Contributor

Image result for my cousin vinny youths

"" Compassion is a verb."-Thich Nhat Hanh
Honored Contributor

Well, I just went back and read one of my posts.  I said "end all be all" and it's supposed to be "be all end all". LOL!  I think I will leave it stand if that's ok with everyone.  I get so tired of editing my posts!!!     

Esteemed Contributor

@suzyQ3 wrote:

@YorkieonmyPillow wrote:

I beg to differ, @YorkieonmyPillow .This thread is less about learning English than it is about criticizing those who lack a command of the language.

If it bothers people so much, then perhaps they should volunteer to help those who need it.

I'm not speaking about this thread in particular. I'm speaking about teaching English in a classroom setting, etc.

I don't know anyone who quibbles about grammar mistakes...

Esteemed Contributor

I hear my pet peeve alot when I happen to be watching any shopping channel.  It's got,it's got, it's got.  They all say it.

Trees are the lungs of the Earth