Super Contributor

Lawn and leaf bags / Spring clean up

I've noticed this for a while, and hoped it would go away or that it was just my imagination...Hefty Lawn and Leaf bags STINK. They are perfumed for some unknown reason. They smell like a mixture of amber and a women's perfume. If you like that sort of thing you will like these. One bag will scent a room in no time. You can smell it through the box, so the next time your shopping for large trash bags that are scented, there ya go! Or, if like me, you have a sensitive sniffer, you know to stay away.  

Honored Contributor

Re: Lawn and leaf bags / Spring clean up

Hmmmm -- glad I store mine outside with my rakes.

I do not buy scented garbage bags -  seems to me they all smell artificial.

Respected Contributor

We only buy the paper bags. I hate scented bags anyway. They're so strong.
Honored Contributor

Go to a hardware store or Walmart and get contractor bags.  You'll wonder why you didn't discover them sooner.  They're much, much heavier than ordinary lawn and leaf bags.  They also great for bagging clothing or comforters and heavy bedding.  They never tear.  I doubt I could live without them.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Super Contributor

@Kachina624

I'll definitely search for them. I use the leaf bags in place of kitchen trash bags, they're heavier-dutier Smiley Wink than regular kitchen bags, and larger, thus fewer bags to throw away. I have one street cart and it doesn't hold much at all. You're not allowed to use any other street cart / bins but theirs, which you "buy" for $85 but it's not actually yours, and you're not supposed to have more than two or else you're fined until you get rid of the others....

You're supposed to hid the cart behind the house right after the truck comes or else get fined $50 every time they warn you, but they haven't implemented that yet. My town is like Mayberry downtown with farms and mountains around it, no HOA, just a city council that wants to be hotty-totty as of late due to the infux of rich folks coming through to tour the neighboring area where land starts at $1M an acre.

I've used Hefty L&L for decades for the kitchen or taking room to room as I major clean, and only last year did the scent pop-up. I just think it's silly to scent a bag that the main use it for outside. I've used them outside and the scent goes away mostly with the breeze. I just don't understand the point.

Honored Contributor

@Kachina624 wrote:

Go to a hardware store or Walmart and get contractor bags.  You'll wonder why you didn't discover them sooner.  They're much, much heavier than ordinary lawn and leaf bags.  They also great for bagging clothing or comforters and heavy bedding.  They never tear.  I doubt I could live without them.

Big Lots carries contractor's bags, too.    F&F sale this weekend.    20% off

♥Surface of the Sun♥
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Contractor bags are the best. They are larger (42/45 gallon), and so durable. I get them at Walmart/Big Lots. 20 bags around $10,

Honored Contributor

Contractor bags are a thicker ply than the lawn and leaf bags, but another good buy is looking in your local supermarket for either of them in the store brand.

☼The best place to seek God is in a garden. You can dig for him there. GBShaw☼
Honored Contributor

@Kachina624 wrote:

Costco carries these contractor bags fir the best price!