Honored Contributor

Last night was very difficult for me

As we left mass to return home, I spotted an old friend. He was seated with his son in a front pew

He had moved away, and I don't see him very often.  He looked so frail. I asked him how he was doing. It took him a while to be able to answer ,and his voice sounded like he had a stroke. You know ,a bit slurred and labored. He looked "all eyes", if you know what I mean, and they were filled with pain

He finally could tell me," I have cancer big time." He was so fragile looking, and fighting to remain composed. He had lost his wife to cancer about 35 years ago, after a long and painful struggle with the disease. He never left her bedside, and raised three sons  all alone.( His youngest was a best friend of my son)

I am sure this must be on his mind ,wondering how well he will cope with the disease, and who will care for him.

I would like those of you that are willing ,to ask God for a peaceful death ,for my friend. His name is Len, and he is a very good person

I told him ,as I took his face in my hands( he was seated and I was standing in front of him)  God will provide for your journey, and bless you for your goodness to others.  I didn't try to insult his intelligence, by telling him he would be able to beat this disease. I tried to let him know he was loved ,and thought of in a caring manner. His face just haunts me. 

Thank you my dears

Honored Contributor

Re: Last night was very difficult for me

@cherry-

Those are such comforting words you said to himSmiley Happy

"If you walk the footsteps of a stranger, you'll learn things you never knew. Can you sing with all the voices of the mountains? can you paint with all the colors of the wind?"
Honored Contributor

@on the bay  I hope he could hear them. He is very hard of hearing too.  It just doesn't leave my mind. I will see that look of yearning  ,burned into my brain till my dying day, I fear

Respected Contributor

How very sad.

New Contributor

Your love and respect for him was and is perfect!  My husband passed away 7 years ago from cancer and there did, indeed, come a time when he needed this reassurance from    the people who understood...I know your friend truly appreciated your actions and words!

Esteemed Contributor

@cherry Oh Cherry I am so sorry to read about your friend Len, prayers have been sent!

Valued Contributor

@cherry, even if he couldn't hear you, I'm sure he could feel your love and concern. I'm glad his son seems to be there for him. And you're right, God will be there for him.

Honored Contributor

I think he was waiting to speak  to the priest . We have a sacrament  that ill people can recieve. It prepares you for  what ever will come down the road.

I hope his journey is fast and easy, That is about all that is left for him ,I fear

Esteemed Contributor

@cherry, I am so sorry for your friend, and I am sure that just seeing you was a wonderful gift for him.  Sending prayers for a peaceful journey.

The next time that I hear salt and ice together, it better be in a margarita!
Esteemed Contributor

Try not to focus on how this effected you, @cherry, as far as a lasting image, but rather on the kindness you showed your friend.  Let that overshadow the look on his face, and replace it with knowing that you showed him compassion and concern. 

When you think of his face, know that God put you in the right place at the right time to reach out.  You could have walked out and never saw him. BUT you didn't.  That is what you should try to remember.

My prayer for Len is that he knows the Lord as his saviour.  If he does, he has nothing to fear.

Fear not Brothers and Sisters! I have read THE BOOK..........we win!!!