Honored Contributor

@Travone wrote:

@tampalady @sunshine45 

Through my work, I also met Larry King Jr.  It's true he did not meet his father until he was an adult....his mother raised him.  He is such an honest, down to earth man.  We became friends and would get together for lunch or dinner whenever he was in town.  He is a good man.

@Travone 

i wonder why a mother would not let her son have a relationship with his father while he was growing up?

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Honored Contributor

I can't take this anymore, it seems like a new name is added to the list of people who have died from this insidious disease everyday.

Respected Contributor

We do throw around the term "legend" probably too much, like we do "hero"...yet..."legend" (of broadcasting) keeps going through my mind.

I loved what he described as his "everyman curiousity"...it made for great interviews. I loved watching him interview a variety of people...from way back, when my parents would say "who's on Larry King tonight?"...to recent years on his web interviews on Ora.tv platform..."Larry King Now."

He loved his job. He loved life. He talked often about not wanting to die.

He's one of those, famous personalities, maybe you grew up with, like myself, and I can't imagine the world without him in it. RIP

Respected Contributor

@sunshine45 wrote:

@Travone wrote:

@tampalady @sunshine45 

Through my work, I also met Larry King Jr.  It's true he did not meet his father until he was an adult....his mother raised him.  He is such an honest, down to earth man.  We became friends and would get together for lunch or dinner whenever he was in town.  He is a good man.

@Travone 

i wonder why a mother would not let her son have a relationship with his father while he was growing up?

Why do you automatically presume that the mother is to blame?  Perhaps the father was too busy with his career and many other wives to take on the responsibility of being a father to this son.

Respected Contributor

@sunshine45 wrote:

@Travone wrote:

@tampalady @sunshine45 

@Travone 

@sunshine45   I can't answer that question, I never met his mother.  All I know is he said that his mother did not want him growing up in that lifestyle.  He lived a very normal middle class life.  Perhaps she thought it would be too difficult for him to live in both worlds. 

Honored Contributor

I did not grow up wth Larry - never heard him on radio.  My first - and really only - exposure to him was via his interviews on CNN.

RIP

Honored Contributor

@Scooby Doo wrote:

@sunshine45 wrote:

@Travone wrote:

@tampalady @sunshine45 

@Travone 

Why do you automatically presume that the mother is to blame?  Perhaps the father was too busy with his career and many other wives to take on the responsibility of being a father to this son.

it may have seemed like i was blaming someone @Scooby Doo , but i am really just more curious as to why a father and son did not even have a relationship for 33 years? especially when the father is so well known? hope that that sounded better.......

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Respected Contributor

King suppsedly didnt know for sure he had a son from the marriage with his 2nd wife (married for one year)

from Newsweek  :  '  In a 2009 interview with journalist Anderson Cooper, King spoke about not meeting Larry Jr. until his son was in his 30s. "That was extraordinary. Let me tell you. To sort of know I had a child. Probably I did. But I wasn't sure. And then to get the realization that I did. And then he turns out to be one of the great people -- one of the great people I know," he said.'

Esteemed Contributor

I used to watch him every night and thought that he did a wonderful job interviewing all of his guests.  I was not surprised when I read that he had covid as he has had health problems for many years.  RIP Larry, and condolences to his family.

The next time that I hear salt and ice together, it better be in a margarita!
Honored Contributor

I love talk radio because of Larry King.  When he went on TV I watched his show all the time.  So sad to hear this.