Esteemed Contributor

Everything that has been mentioned is what I would have said too. I live about an hour or so from Lancaster. Have fun!

And in the end, the love you take is equal to the love you make~ The Beatles
Esteemed Contributor

We loved the Railroad museum in Strausbourg and don't miss the Good and Plenty Amish restaurant that serves everything family style.  We've been there a number of times and nonce, when our son was a teenager we went there one night where he over ate to the point of disastrous consequences and still requested to go back there to eat the next night.

Honored Contributor

Re: Lancaster, Pa

[ Edited ]

My parents used to take us to Lancaster PA area for a vacation for several years when he used to visit one of his buddies they lived in nearby York PA with his family.

Besides visiting Amish goings-on...we went to a wonderful Amish place to have a meal...forgot the name of it. I'm 56 and this was back when I was between 10-15 yrs old.

However, my fondest memory is we always went to the Haines Shoe House and had AWESOME ice cream sundaes. They had a zillion toppings to choose from and we could fix them however we liked.

I just checked to see by googling that it still exists...very cool!!!

haines-shoe-house.jpg

Honored Contributor

I don't know how long you will be in Lancaster, but if you have the time a trip to Gettysburg might be nice. ( 1 hr 20 minutes away) and an easy drive.

I live close to Lancaster and go there to shop. Check out the Sight and Sound Theatre and the American Music Theatre... Buy tickets ahead of time on line.

The traffic on RT 30 will be horrible, especially on weekends.... So be prepared.

Have fun!

Trusted Contributor

Though I've not been to the Amish area in PA, it sounds a lot like the Middlebury/Goshen IN area. We were there last week for a quick road trip. Beautiful area.

Honored Contributor

My DH used to live near Lancaster - there is a walking tour of the city that is cool and there is a old car museum. If you want to see a lot of Amish shops go to Strousberg nearby, that is where he lived. Also Millersville College is pretty.

Honored Contributor

Re: Lancaster, Pa

[ Edited ]

Obviously the Q tour and outlets

Longwood Gardens which is wonderful

Wyeth Museum

Just driving around Amish Country is beautiful, I can't remember what else we did the last time we were there as it was November and we only had 2 days.

How far is Hershey from there?

Adding if history is your interest and there is time Gettysburg is worth it

Lancaster has a website that will tell you more

Valued Contributor

The Sight and Sound Theater is always a wonderful show to see.  This year it is Samson.  Tickets may be hard to get if you don't order early.   Stopping at the tourist office will give you loads of information about places to see.  Everything is spread out so a good GPS and map is a must.  Good and Plenty and Plain and fancy restaurants will give you a home style eating experience.  Outlets are ok, but I enjoy the quaint shops located in many of the villages.  Longwood Gardens (Kennett Square) and the QVC Tour (west chester)  are a bit of a distance but worth the ride to see.  Most  Mennonite attractions are closed on Sunday.   Hershey is quite a distance and not much to see except the amusement park.  I don't think they make any chocolate there anymore.  Enjoy your trip. 

Regular Contributor

Our son lives about an hour from Lancaster. One of my favorite places to visit is the National Christmas Center. There are really neat displays of retro Christmas rooms, a cool Woolworths with retro merchandise [not for sale], and a walk thru replica of Bethleham among other things.Allow at least two hours to see it all plus the gift shop.

Honored Contributor

Visit close by Lititz PA, they have a pretzel fctory there and a candy factory, nice little town with great little shops too. Shopping at Rockvale Sq is a must in Lancaster, and the Steamboat is great hotel. Miller's smorgasbord is a must too for dinner or lunch. I dont recommend Shady Maple, very commercialized and food is on the lower end of quality.