Respected Contributor

Re: LOST MY FAVORITE AUNT LAST NIGHT

What a wonderful tribute to your aunt.  When we lose the strong, influential women in our lives, it is indeed a huge loss.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

So very sorry for your loss, Shanus.  Clearly she was much loved, which means that despite her obstacles, she had a life well-lived.  Condolences. (No acknowledgement required, just wanted you to know you were thought of)

( \_/ )
(='x'=)
( " )_( " )
Honored Contributor

Thanks to all for keeping me in your thoughts and prayers. Her son who came here from San Antonio decided w/ his brother & all their grown children to take her to San Antonio for a service there. They are also relocating my uncle (her husband) to San Antonio to live with them. Since he lost all his family in the Holocaust, my aunt and their sons, grandchildren and of course my hubby & me & my Mom are his only family. 

We always lived across the street from their family until I left home for college. She taught me lots about fashion and makeup, as well as how to overcome adversity.

Because of  all her polio related surgeries as a teenager, she had to drop out of school in 7th grade, but that didn't stop her from reading and learning everything she could. She was computer savvy and we either spoke every day or texted. That part of my day was filled w/ laughter because she had a great sense of humor (& the mouth of a sailor). I'll miss that hour with her the most. 

I think I mentioned she had beautiful jewelry and clothes. She had ear marked for me several Chanel bags, her Cartier "Love" bracelet, and several diamond pieces. The rest will go to her daughter in law & 3 granddaughters. When she discussed it with me when her health began to fail, I insisted she leave it all to her granddaughters. Her response was, "Shanus, I had 2 sons, but you were the daughter I always prayed for. I want to know you'll be enjoying these things". 

And so it is or was. Beautiful memories mixed w/ sadness. 

Thanks again to everyone who was has been with me through this tough time. Love you all.

Honored Contributor

God Bless.

kindness is strength
Respected Contributor

I am sorry to read your news Shanus. 

She will live on through her deeds and your precious memories.

Esteemed Contributor

@Shanus wrote:

Thanks to all for keeping me in your thoughts and prayers. Her son who came here from San Antonio decided w/ his brother & all their grown children to take her to San Antonio for a service there. They are also relocating my uncle (her husband) to San Antonio to live with them. Since he lost all his family in the Holocaust, my aunt and their sons, grandchildren and of course my hubby & me & my Mom are his only family. 

We always lived across the street from their family until I left home for college. She taught me lots about fashion and makeup, as well as how to overcome adversity.

Because of  all her polio related surgeries as a teenager, she had to drop out of school in 7th grade, but that didn't stop her from reading and learning everything she could. She was computer savvy and we either spoke every day or texted. That part of my day was filled w/ laughter because she had a great sense of humor (& the mouth of a sailor). I'll miss that hour with her the most. 

I think I mentioned she had beautiful jewelry and clothes. She had ear marked for me several Chanel bags, her Cartier "Love" bracelet, and several diamond pieces. The rest will go to her daughter in law & 3 granddaughters. When she discussed it with me when her health began to fail, I insisted she leave it all to her granddaughters. Her response was, "Shanus, I had 2 sons, but you were the daughter I always prayed for. I want to know you'll be enjoying these things". 

And so it is or was. Beautiful memories mixed w/ sadness. 

Thanks again to everyone who was has been with me through this tough time. Love you all.

Shayna @Shanus I have tears in my eyes reading about your beautiful aunt. I'm so very sorry for your loss. She sounds like an incredible woman and I'm sure you will miss her terribly.

My mom was one of five sisters. My favorite aunt passed away in her 90's. She graduated from a 4-year college in her 70's, and was so smart and loving to all her nieces and nephews. I miss her terribly.

I'm glad you have such warm, loving memories of her that will help you now. Prayers and love to you, Shayna XOX

"That's a great first pancake."
Lady Gaga, to Tony Bennett
Honored Contributor

@Shanus,  Thank you for sharing such a poignant tribute to a magnificent woman.   We're so blessed to have these unique, special people in our lives, whether for a short time or for many years.   They become a part of us, a part that we can call upon even without realizing we're doing so, and we carry forward their bright and brilliant gifts when we touch others' lives along the way.   You remind me to be grateful for those radiant spirits who have been in my life, and I appreciate you for that.   My condolences to you and to all who love your dear Tante, may she rest in peace.❤️

Few things reveal your intellect and your generosity of spirit—the parallel powers of your heart and mind—better than how you give feedback.~Maria Popova
Respected Contributor

@Shanus, @dooBdoo said it all: keeping you in my thoughts and prayers.  Thank you for sharing her life with us,

Hugs,

Poodlepet2

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Shanus. I am so sorry for your loss,

My father got polio at age 6 months before the iron lung was available and he lived to be 85.  He died of respiratory failure too,  he was a wonderful man.

May God bless you and your family through this difficult time. 

Super Contributor

So sorry for your loss. You aunt sounds like a great lady.