Respected Contributor

Checking out at the supermarket yesterday. My 15 items already on the belt. Some delay with the person two people ahead who was paying.

So the woman in front of me turns around and to kill time proceeds to critique each of my items. "That baguette really looks fresh."  "It's so easy to make your own guacamole."  "Those generic crackers are as good as Triscuits."  On and on. Her harshest comments were reserved for the deli turkey breast.

I was speechless and never said a word.

But she scored a 10 for accuracy.

(I wonder if I can hire her to do my shopping.)

In case lightening strikes twice, what would be a good comeback comment?

Honored Contributor

To funny...like you really cared what she thought.  On occasion a clerk will comment on products I buy.....I wish they would not comment but I guess they are trying to be friendy and make small talk.

Honored Contributor

There are crazy people in this world.  I'd have totally ignored her, behaved as if she was not there and was not talking.  Obviously, was a nut job looking for attention.  I wouldn't have given it to her.

Trusted Contributor

I am way too jaded to rudeness.

My comment would leave her speechless and couldn't possibly be expressed on this forum.

Honored Contributor

@PickyPicky3 @Just conversation to pass time and I sure that she wasn’t judging your food choices..if she was a rude person she could have discussed how others were dressed or looked or how slow people were..

Esteemed Contributor

@PickyPicky3  No need for a comeback if it happens again, unless you want to join in and critique another's purchases.  

Maybe she just wanted to make conversation.  I find that as I get older, I talk to lots of people and not just at the grocery, but I don't critique anyone's groceries--at least not to their face.  I have asked about certain items just for my information. 

The art of conversation is getting lost, and many people are lonely.  That is why I talk to people.

The next time that I hear salt and ice together, it better be in a margarita!
Honored Contributor

Re: LIFE IS NEVER BORING

[ Edited ]

@Mom2Dogs wrote:

To funny...like you really cared what she thought.  On occasion a clerk will comment on products I buy.....I wish they would not comment but I guess they are trying to be friendy and make small talk.

@Mom2Dogs , I so agree with you.  Friday the cashier made several comments about a bottle of extra strength Prevagen..  Like- I sure can't afford this, does it work, I'll have to wait til it goes on sale maybe.  I just looked at her and said, " Well ask my husband, he takes it, and we are well aware of the cost."  Or they'll say, "Where did you find that, I didn't know we carried that."  Have known all of them for ages so I just laugh it off and tell them, "You need to pay attention to the products in your store."

Go VOLS
Rocky Top you'll always be home sweet home to me.. Good ole Rocky Top, Rocky Top Tennessee... Rocky Top Tennessee
Honored Contributor

@Mom2Dogslol  Think of smiling at their comments as your creation of happiness for someone else -  life as a cashier can be pretty boring.  I remember the years I had that job -  not a whole lot of stress, not a difficult responsibility, but, yes, boring sometimes.

Honored Contributor

When I was a cashier in a grocery store I commented on purchases just to keep an interaction going with the customer.It usually led to a more interesting conversation than the weather.I never thought I was being rude and actually was a very popular cashier judging by my lineups.I thought people enjoyed the one on one attention more than silence and there usually was laughter involved.I got to know the regulars and feel that I made their experience more enjoyable.

Honored Contributor

@PickyPicky3Except for her harshness about your turkey breast it seems like what she said was totally harmless.

As for the turkey, sounds pretty mild compared to what I read here when posters over and over critique all kinds of choices people make and in very harsh, sometimes ugly words, and that woman actually did it face-to-face.  I respect that.