Esteemed Contributor

I chat in the line but honestly, I try not to be overt about seeing what they have on the belt.  It seems kind of personal!  But I most certainly enjoy casual conversation with my fellow shoppers and the cashier, as well.

I don't think it would bother me in the least if someone commented on my "stuff".  Chat away.

Cogito ergo sum
Esteemed Contributor

@PickyPicky3   I was behind a lady when she commented that I must have a sweet tooth. I had bought desert for the family. And bought assorted items. 

I heard her comments but am hearing disabled which can be handy occasionally. I kept asking her to repeat, the man behind me tapped me on the shoulder and said in a loud voice “it’s none of her business”!

The lady left fast!

Respected Contributor

I've never had this happen to the extent this clerk did - I have had one make a comment that they really liked something that I'd bought as she was bagging it or seen a product and asked if I liked it or if it was the first time I'm trying.  For the most part clerks here have little interaction to customers.  

If this bothers you though - can you just go to another line with different cashier?

Honored Contributor

I was at Sam's Club early one morning (business hours) and only had to pick up a few things.  Bread, milk and two bottles of wine that my DH had asked me to get.

The place was nearly empty, but a man gets in line behind me, looks at my items and makes a comment about the wine and the "early hour".  As if it's any of his business, but I tried to be polite and said "The wine's for my husband.  I don't drink."   At which he said "Yeah...right.  If you say so!"  (Exaggerated eye roll)

Now that's rude.  And no, he wasn't joking at all; he clearly decided I was an alcoholic "housewife" out for my morning fix.  The look I gave him would've dropped most people on the spot.

I turned my back on him and only spoke to the clerk.  Most of the staff know me and they couldn't believe it either.  Rude busybodies aren't worth acknowledging, but it still irritated me!  Smiley Mad

Honored Contributor

Given the fact that I'm just not in a good mood right now, I would have asked her if she planned on paying my bill since she was questioning my purchases.

Respected Contributor

How sad it is that casual conversation is considered rude. Perhaps  a food delivery service might be in order so you don’t have to interact or deal with any other human beings that might be considered intrusive.

'I refuse to engage in a battle of wits with an unarmed man'.......Unknown
Respected Contributor

@CelticCrafter wrote:

Given the fact that I'm just not in a good mood right now, I would have asked her if she planned on paying my bill since she was questioning my purchases.

I didn't take the comments as questioning the purchases, they were just harmless comments, iMO.

Respected Contributor

Re: LIFE IS NEVER BORING

[ Edited ]

Reading your comments always helps me think through a situation. I too sometimes chat while waiting in line. This was different. This was not a person making conversation. In retrospect, I wonder if this woman (around 50) might have Asperger's Syndrome or some other disorder on the autistic spectrum. She commented on all 15 of my items without stopping. That's what left me speechless. I never felt she was being rude or judgemental -- she just was kind of doing an inventory with commentary. Or thinking out loud. Disabilities come in all shapes and sizes. 

Makes me think about the TV show "The Good Doctor."

Esteemed Contributor

@PickyPicky3 wrote:

Reading your comments always helps me think through a situation. I too sometimes chat while waiting in line. This was different. This was not a person making conversation. In retrospect, I wonder if this woman (around 50) might have Asperger's Syndrome or some other disorder on the autistic spectrum. She commented on all 15 of my items without stopping. That's what left me speechless. I never felt she was being rude or judgemental -- she just was kind of doing a inventory with commentary. Or thinking out loud. Disabilities come in all shapes and sizes. 

Makes me think about the TV show "The Good Doctor."

Insightful.

Honored Contributor

@Venezia @Yup that’s the definition of rude.Thats not conversation.