Honored Contributor

Re: LIFE ALERT anyone use/own?

thanks for all of the suggestions and recommendations.

i have more information on the way from several companies. Smiley Happy

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Honored Contributor

@Anonymous032819 wrote:

My dad had a Life Alert, problem was, HE NEVER USED IT! He was too proud to ask for help if he fell, which he did. More than once, I would get home from work, and when I would talk with him, and he would tell me that he fell that day. *sigh* You can lead a horse to water....

My sister-in-law had one for her father and he never used it.  If he was having an issue he would call her first...

Honored Contributor

I would discuss getting it with your mom and see how she feels about it before getting it for her. Sounds like it may not be well-received my everyone.
Honored Contributor

We have another brand (forgot the name) for my mother.  Major issue: she refuses to wear it.  We kind of go on the hope that either the button, or the unit (which has a large push button) are things she can somehow get to in an emergency.  She is constantly reminded she needs to wear it, but for whatever reason, she won't.  Cooperation has never been her strong suit.

Honored Contributor

@lovesrecess wrote:
I would discuss getting it with your mom and see how she feels about it before getting it for her. Sounds like it may not be well-received my everyone.

as noted above, we have already talked about some type of device.

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Respected Contributor

My Aunt in CA. had one and she had a mild stroke and called for help.  I think it was the Life Alert. She ended up with a massive stroke though at age 90 and died instantly. She often wore it and Greatgrandchildren wanted to press the button to see fire trucks.

I bought the HSN one and have it in the car. I know it works as did not have the protective cover on it and my large dog hit the button. I was  really embarrassed when someone answered. I liked the idea no contract or monthly fee.  A battery check needs to be done now and then. I haven't seen them presented so don't believe they still carry it? 

Regular Contributor

I have one called "911 HELP now a pendant I bought from HSN years ago.  There is no monthly fee & the item was fairly inespensive.  Comes as a pendant or bracelet.  I've never had to call but did press the button accidentally a couple of times.  A voice comes on immediately telling you they are calling on  & 911 answers immediately.  Only thing I don't like about it is accidentally pressing the button.

Esteemed Contributor

I gave the Mobile Help brand "button" to my father for his 100th birthday.  He wears it proudly.... but he's never used it yet.  The one time he fell when I wasn't there, he didn't push his button because he "didn't want to bother anybody."    

There are dozens of button brands out there.  Just deciding which one to get was the hardest part.  They all work about the same.

* A woman is like a tea bag. You can't tell how strong she is until you put her in hot water. *
- Eleanor Roosevelt