Honored Contributor

I was processing two items for refund via mail and their message is as follows:  I was amazed , understand why and wonder why other companies are not following their lead. I hope people do not take advantage or their goodness

No need to return this item. A refund will be credited back to your Visa *1169 in 1-3 days.

Women's Tank Dress - A New Day™ Black 

You can donate, recycle or keep this item.
Stop being afraid of what could go wrong and start being positive what could go right.
Super Contributor

Wow!  I'm just amazed!

Honored Contributor

They've been doing that for a long time.

I received a defective coffee pot last Fall.  I initiated the return on their website and I got a message to dispose of it.  I was refunded and I just disposed of it instead of lugging it back to the store.

Esteemed Contributor

They sell $20 dresses. That they imported from China for $6.

By the time you pay for postage, ship, they pay an employee to unwrap, inspect and either toss or mark for resale, they are out far more $ than the 20 bucks.

Respected Contributor

@I am still oxox wrote:

I was processing two items for refund via mail and their message is as follows:  I was amazed , understand why and wonder why other companies are not following their lead. I hope people do not take advantage or their goodness

No need to return this item. A refund will be credited back to your Visa *1169 in 1-3 days.

Women's Tank Dress - A New Day™ Black 

You can donate, recycle or keep this item.

HSN just did that for me. I was also amazed.

Respected Contributor

I'd say other companies aren't following Target's lead because they don't want to lose money when the dishonest people, and there are plenty of them, abuse the opportunity to get something for nothing.

Honored Contributor

I have wondered why QVC doesn't do this for return items where the label was printer and it's going on 2 months now and no refund in sight.  They really should take a look at those old old ordered so many have returned and apparently will never be refunded as expected.

They wouldn't be out that much money since they have collected more than half the cost already and people are very angry.  And IF refunds come they will be for 2 payments when all 3 have been made.

Trusted Contributor

Re: Kudos to Target

[ Edited ]

I worked in higher end retail, helping put myself through college and post grad. Even then 20+years ago, I think this would have been a very risky policy for retailers. 

I can see it, for returns of food, maybe cosmetics, where the item will be tossed anyway, maybe  for certain defective items, like small appliances. 

As an across the board policy, I'm afraid it could be, almost an invitation, to fraud. 

Let's say you buy a nice pair of pants. You receive them , they're perfectly fine, the right size, but, in person, you don't love the color, the fit isn't the most flattering. 

I can't imagine one reason, why any retailer, would tell you they'd credit your account and keep the pants??

I don't like to think so, but, I could see that policy, being tempting, to even honest customers. 

Trusted Contributor

I think the only reason retailers would give their customers a refund and not have them  return the item is if it would cost the retailer MORE to process the return than what the refund would be.  

Chewy gave me a refund for 2 broken dog food bowls that they didn't want me to send back because they said the broken ceramic would be a safety issue.

I doubt any retailer has this policy for EVERY item it sells--just for certain ones and for certain reasons.

Trusted Contributor

@Silver Lining wrote:

I'd say other companies aren't following Target's lead because they don't want to lose money when the dishonest people, and there are plenty of them, abuse the opportunity to get something for nothing.

It might happen a time or two, but retailers do keep track of people who return their purchases and if they return too much, they are put on notice.  

Perhaps a certain item has a high percentage of returns for whatever reason, and the retailer doesn't want to deal with it any more so that's why the customer doesn't have to return it.

It could also be because of reduced staffing due to the pandemic and they just don't have the personnel they used to have to process as many returns.

I wouldn't worry about the corporations losing money - they get alot more tax breaks and "bail outs" than their customers do.  They would never have a policy that would harm their bottom line.