Honored Contributor

@Maggie Nolia wrote:

But he hasn't banned vehicles.  Go figure.

David slew Goliath with a rock.

If we believe the Bible story, he took him down with the rock but killed him with Goliath's sword.

Honored Contributor

@Isobel Archer wrote:

Due to the increasing number of stabbings in London, they are cracking down on knives.

NO home deliveries of knives are allowed.  Police can now stop and search anyone they believe may be carrying a knife.

London's mayor Khan tweeted: "No excuses:  There is never a reason to carry a knife.  Anyone who does will be caught and they will feel the full force of the law."

Interestingly Khan previously stopped stop and frisk activities as he deemed them "racist" and "Islamophobic."

Parliament is being asked to consider harsh knife laws - including prohibiting all online sales of knives.

This is in response to an increase in murders in London - which now surpasses those in New York City 

First guns - now knives.  What will be next?

That happened here, too, some years ago.  And it was racist, it profiled people of color.

Esteemed Contributor

@QueenDanceALot wrote:

NYC doesn't even have one of the highest murder rates in the country, so comparing London's murder rate to NYC isn't really the OMG that some people would like to think.

NYC doesn't even show up in the top 30 currently.

Guessing the comparison was made because they have comparable population size.

Someday, when scientists discover the center of the Universe....some people will be disappointed it is not them.
Honored Contributor

So, people are really going to run with this to continue their assertions that there is no point in more stringent gun laws in this country?

Yes, I think they are.

SMH.

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

@QueenDanceALot wrote:

@SahmIam wrote:

If you want or need sharp knives, you drive to a store and buy them. People did this all the time before online ordering so, no big deal.

Steak knives are not found in public eateries. Scissors are not found in schools, btw. There is a movement to bring back "dangerous play" at schools and playgrounds (climbing trees, building with planks and bricks, etc) to counteract all the safety measures the UK took over the years.

Bottom line: if a person wants to harm someone, they WILL find a way. Anything can be made into a deadly object with the intent to harm. Anything.

I was just wondering how I could make my cat's spongey soccer ball toys (as I was just tossing him several) into deadly objects.

I don't think I could.  And my toothbrush which I just used, nope, not that either. 

So, no, not anything.  And that's just 2 items I came in contact with in the past 20 minutes.

@QueenDanceALot  Do you really want me to tell you how they could be used? Because it took only seconds for me to figure it out. Then again, I was trained that way once upon a time. 

The average, decent person doesn't think that way. Someone who wants to hurt you? Oh yeah, they'll figure it out. Trust me.

Honored Contributor

@SahmIam wrote:

If you want or need sharp knives, you drive to a store and buy them. People did this all the time before online ordering so, no big deal.

Steak knives are not found in public eateries. Scissors are not found in schools, btw. There is a movement to bring back "dangerous play" at schools and playgrounds (climbing trees, building with planks and bricks, etc) to counteract all the safety measures the UK took over the years.

Bottom line: if a person wants to harm someone, they WILL find a way. Anything can be made into a deadly object with the intent to harm. Anything.

@SahmIam, I think that this is worded in a very slanted way, and I highly doubt that we will return to the wild, wild west in terms of children's playgrounds.

The  ground material for playgrounds have been updated, along with the equipment. Our neighborhood park's children's area have been newly renoved with safety and enjoyment in mind, and it crowded every weekend and often during the week. It looks much more fun than the old-fashioned ones.

Let's not rely on the mindset that because we survived certain dangers, they weren't dangerous. Not everyone survived unscathed. If children can have fun in a safer environment, that's a win-win in my book.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Honored Contributor

@suzyQ3 wrote:

@SahmIam wrote:

@SahmIam, I think that this is worded in a very slanted way, and I highly doubt that we will return to the wild, wild west in terms of children's playgrounds.

The  ground material for playgrounds have been updated, along with the equipment. Our neighborhood park's children's area have been newly renoved with safety and enjoyment in mind, and it crowded every weekend and often during the week. It looks much more fun than the old-fashioned ones.

Let's not rely on the mindset that because we survived certain dangers, they weren't dangerous. Not everyone survived unscathed. If children can have fun in a safer environment, that's a win-win in my book.

@suzyQ3  No, that's how the UK article stated it. I'll search for it. I'm talking about UK playgrounds and a movement in place there, not here, btw. Personally, seeing a young child about to jump on a plank that has the other side loaded with bricks made me see red but hey, that's just me (this was on the school grounds and encouraged by the teacher). 

Honored Contributor

@SahmIam wrote:

@QueenDanceALot wrote:

@SahmIam wrote:

I was just wondering how I could make my cat's spongey soccer ball toys (as I was just tossing him several) into deadly objects.

I don't think I could.  And my toothbrush which I just used, nope, not that either. 

So, no, not anything.  And that's just 2 items I came in contact with in the past 20 minutes.

@QueenDanceALot  Do you really want me to tell you how they could be used? Because it took only seconds for me to figure it out. Then again, I was trained that way once upon a time. 

The average, decent person doesn't think that way. Someone who wants to hurt you? Oh yeah, they'll figure it out. Trust me.

Oh, please, tell me.  How would you kill people en masse with cat toy soccer balls?

I'm no stranger to violence, so don't feel you have to protect my innocent and tender sensibilities.

Honored Contributor

@QueenDanceALot wrote:

@SahmIam wrote:

@QueenDanceALot wrote:

@SahmIam wrote:

Oh, please, tell me.  How would you kill people en masse with cat toy soccer balls?

I'm no stranger to violence, so don't feel you have to protect my innocent and tender sensibilities.

@QueenDanceALot You know, sarcasm and being a smart-butt only goes so far with me in a conversation. As far as I'm concerned, the one with you has ended. It's telling that you take something so serious as a joke....

Honored Contributor

@SahmIam wrote:

@QueenDanceALot wrote:

@SahmIam wrote:

@QueenDanceALot wrote:

@SahmIam wrote:

@QueenDanceALot You know, sarcasm and being a smart-butt only goes so far with me in a conversation. As far as I'm concerned, the one with you has ended. It's telling that you take something so serious as a joke....

@SahmIam

I am certainly not taking this topic as a joke.

I am simply not willing to go on your say so ("trust me") on how someone could use cat soccer ball toys as lethal weapons as well as they might use guns.

You don't have an answer for that.