Honored Contributor

Re: Knee replacement surgery

@sabandrusty

I had my l. knee replaced for the 3rd time in November, this time is a success.  Wheeeee!

Have you had your pre-op meeting?  That is a good place to get questions such as yours answered.  My insurance did pay for the cooling device and it was wonderful, but I think you can do as well without it.

You'll want non-skid socks to wear around the house, I never used a walker, but a cane is good to have.  

Best wishes for a great procedure, and a speedy recovery.

"Animals are not my whole world, but they have made my world whole" ~ Roger Caras
Contributor

Thanks Vivian - 

Your comments are so helpful! I'm glad you're having a good recovery.  Sounds like the facility where you had your surgery is very progressive and attentive.  My hospital apparently won't give an ice machine, the patient has to buy it.  With your and Annabelle's

comments, I guess I'll go for it.  Great tip on the exercise bands! I'll use that since I won't be swinging my leg side to side I suppose.  Everyone talks about how moving around after surgery is so important.  Living alone I won't have much of a choice on that.  Fortunately my pain management doctor isn't stingy with the pain medicine either.  I do worry about my cat is who is always underfoot and wants to sit in my lap when I sit down.  His nose will be out of joint if he's ignored!  

Thanks again! 

Contributor

One other thing I wanted to ask - Did anyone find that their knees "clicked" after surgery.  I read that could be a side effect and I think it would drive me nuts! 

Thanks!

Honored Contributor

Double knee replacement in 2013......best thing is ice in a gallon zip lock bag put that in another ziplock bag ....and then place in a large pillow case tie the end in a knot..best thing ever and cheap.  I loved my ice packs! 

Esteemed Contributor

@sabandrustywrote:

One other thing I wanted to ask - Did anyone find that their knees "clicked" after surgery.  I read that could be a side effect and I think it would drive me nuts! 

Thanks!

@sabandrusty

My TKR was eleven years ago in February, and there's never been any "clicking."  I was only in my 50s and had trouble finding a doctor that would do a knee replacement because of my age.  But an injury in my 30s from an auto accident and a family history of arthritis left that knee bone on bone by my 50s, in spite of an active lifestyle and thin build.   Finally found a wonderful surgeon who does only knees and hips, and never looked back.  That surgery gave me my life back.  You will be so happy you did it!

"Breathe in, breathe out, move on." Jimmy Buffett
Honored Contributor

@sabandrusty  No. No knee clicking. 

Super Contributor

If you have more than one floor in your house, it is a good idea to have a walker on each floor.  That way you don't have to carry it or do without. 

As others have said, a shower chair is helpful, and a riser for the toilet seat. 

Elastic shoe laces for your sneakers (sturdy shoes are needed for therapy)  and a long shoe horn to help slide your shoes on.  Sometimes people find the gadget for holding your sock while you put it on helpful.  

Comfortable pants to wear for therapy as well.  

The hospital will provide ice in ice bags but you may want something that will go around the knee and hold the ice on.

Lastly, paper and a pen placed near every place you may be seated.  When you have questions, you can write them down and take them with you when you go to the doc or PT.  

Best wishes for an easy procedure and recovery.

Honored Contributor

@sabandrustywrote:

Thanks Vivian - 

Your comments are so helpful! I'm glad you're having a good recovery.  Sounds like the facility where you had your surgery is very progressive and attentive.  My hospital apparently won't give an ice machine, the patient has to buy it.  With your and Annabelle's

comments, I guess I'll go for it.  Great tip on the exercise bands! I'll use that since I won't be swinging my leg side to side I suppose.  Everyone talks about how moving around after surgery is so important.  Living alone I won't have much of a choice on that.  Fortunately my pain management doctor isn't stingy with the pain medicine either.  I do worry about my cat is who is always underfoot and wants to sit in my lap when I sit down.  His nose will be out of joint if he's ignored!  

Thanks again! 

Pets!  At the pre-op group meeting, we were advised to put pets in foster care or send them to stay with friends or relatives for few weeks after the surgery.  You'll be on a walker and even if you aren't, your movement will be very limited and dogs and cats "sense" that you have hardware in your knee so even ones that aren't all over your feet normally....will be.  They said something like 95% of post op falls after knee and hip replacements were due to cats and dogs.  

Esteemed Contributor

@chrystaltreewrote:

@sabandrustywrote:

Thanks Vivian - 

Thanks again! 

Pets!  At the pre-op group meeting, we were advised to put pets in foster care or send them to stay with friends or relatives for few weeks after the surgery.  You'll be on a walker and even if you aren't, your movement will be very limited and dogs and cats "sense" that you have hardware in your knee so even ones that aren't all over your feet normally....will be.  They said something like 95% of post op falls after knee and hip replacements were due to cats and dogs.  

I have 6 cats and there is no way I would send them away. They stayed out of my way and were a great comfort. I would have been miserable without my kitties.

Esteemed Contributor

I disagree about moving pets out of the house. My beagle was a great source of comfort for me as I recovered. And yes, I have experienced some knee clicking. My physical therapist says it’s normal and I shouldn’t worry about it.