Respected Contributor

So scary for parents!

I saw earlier on the news about kids getting sick. This was found out in the UK but now it is here in the US.

Coronavirus could be tied to a rare but serious illness in children, UK doctors say,

In a statement sent over the weekend to medical professionals who look after critically ill children, PICS said "the cases have in common overlapping features of toxic shock syndrome and atypical Kawasaki disease with blood parameters consistent with severe Covid-19 in children. Abdominal pain and gastrointestinal symptoms have been a common feature as has cardiac inflammation."

Kawasaki disease, also known as Kawasaki syndrome, is a rare childhood illness that causes the walls of the blood vessels in the body to become inflamed.
Esteemed Contributor

The article says it COULD be linked with coronavirus and mentioned blood parameters.  Really, talk about iffy.

Respected Contributor

Very scary news especially when you have 2 little grandchildren and their mom is an ICU nurse!!  So far all are healthy.  Let's hope and pray it stays that way.  This virus has a new surprise for us every day...

Valued Contributor

Hear is what I heard on CBS News with Nora tonight -

More kids hospitalized in NYC with condition that could be linked to coronavirus

Officials said on Wednesday that the number of children who have been hospitalized in New York City with symptoms consistent with a rare disease possibly linked to the coronavirus has nearly quadrupled to 64. Omar Villafranca reports.

Honored Contributor

@FlowerBear -

I've heard about this too.

Very frightening, and they don't know why some kids and not others, the same that they don't know why some adults do so poorly and or die with the virus and others don't.

I know they are learning and discovering things every day.

All over the world, they are trying to find treatments as fast as they can.

I hope they can help and save all those poor babies. Well, I wish adults too!

"If you walk the footsteps of a stranger, you'll learn things you never knew. Can you sing with all the voices of the mountains? can you paint with all the colors of the wind?"
Respected Contributor

This is so sad.  Now children.  For the most part, we don't know who can give the virus to the child because we aren't doing enuf testing.

Esteemed Contributor

@Still Raining wrote:

The article says it COULD be linked with coronavirus and mentioned blood parameters.  Really, talk about iffy.

Four of the 15 children tested positive for COVID-19, and six tested positive for the coronavirus antibodies, signifying a previous infection. 

Excerpt from   nbcnewyork.com/news/local/15-nyc-children-sickened-with-rare-covid-related-illness-here-are-the-warning-signs/2404162/  about the first 15 cases in NYC.

The eyes through which you see others may be the same as how they see you.
Honored Contributor

Re: Kids getting sick!

[ Edited ]

@Still Raining As of now there are 64 cases in New York. The children have what appears to be Kawasaki, which is rare. The association between the condition and  COVID is not very iffy because the children with the rash and inflammatory vascular symptoms either currently have COVID or have antibodies to it. 7A631C0A-E9A5-41BF-A004-F7247502866D.jpeg

Honored Contributor

I saw reports about this last night.  Will this nightmare ever end?

Why is it, when I have a 50/50 guess at something, I'm always 100% wrong?
Trusted Contributor

It's extremely irresponsible of the news media to post scare stories like this when there is no concrete proof that this illness is caused by coronavirus. Using hypotheticals only fuels even more panic. Every day I see another article about some bizarre symptom or other that researchers are desperately trying to link to COVID-19. There was story about a woman from Kazakhstan  who was so overjoyed to be out of quarantine that on her first excursion out ot the house she went hiking and fell off a cliff while taking a selfie. I'm surprised that the authorities didn't link her death to COVID because, after all, she might have been more cautious if she hadn't   been on lockdown due to the virus!