Respected Contributor

Has anyone have a problem with a backlit keyboard on your laptop due to color of laptop? I have read silver laptop keys with the backlit are very hard to read. I like using the backlit feature.
I am going to order a new laptop and want your opinion on this beforeI buy a new one. My rose gold HP laptop is ok with backlit but I need to upgrade. Mine is too old to get theWindows 11.

Thank you.

Esteemed Contributor

Re: Keyboard on laptop question

Never heard that the color of the laptop itself affected this.  

Newer keys have a base color and then the letter itself lights up, sort of like a neon sign.  Much better than the old black key with painted letter.

Had to upgrade before taxes too 🥴

Trusted Contributor

It probably depends on how much you have to look at the keyboard when you type.  I have a silver laptop keyboard and the backlight is fine for me, however I rarely look at the keyboard when I'm typing.  I usually don't use the light unless the room is very dim and then I use it more out of habit than anything else.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

Thank you as I saw some reviews on some laptops that complained about this color of the keys with the backlit keys.

I like the HP 15" TSV as comparisons were not far off in price. Some I chose to possibly order on Staples were unavailable. 
The Underwater Teal on QVC is also beautiful.

Thanks again. I am having cataract surgery in a few weeks on both eyes a few weeks apart. They will definitely see the keys clearer for me. Smiley Happy

Regular Contributor

I prefer black with black keys. My last purchase was silver with silver keys and even though I know the keyboard well, it is impossible to see backlit or not!

Honored Contributor

I have a silver Dell with black keys.  No problem with the lighting at all.  I'll never buy a computer without the light again.  I touch type but occasionally the curser will jump and I need to see the keys.  

Honored Contributor

I have a silver laptop, but the keys are black....the keys are perfect with the backlight...

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Super Contributor

I purchased the HP 17" laptop that was a TSV a few months ago. The jasmine blue color has black keys and the backlight feature has three brightness levels -- it works great!!! I specifically avoided a silver laptop with silver keys, even with a backlight, because that combination is just too hard to see - lit or not.

Honored Contributor

@MKR14 wrote:

Has anyone have a problem with a backlit keyboard on your laptop due to color of laptop? I have read silver laptop keys with the backlit are very hard to read. I like using the backlit feature.
I am going to order a new laptop and want your opinion on this beforeI buy a new one. My rose gold HP laptop is ok with backlit but I need to upgrade. Mine is too old to get theWindows 11.

Thank you.

@MKR14 

Oh my goodness, I know what you mean!  I have the HP rose gold and I would never buy that (or a lighter color) ever again!  Live and learn.

Sometimes I have real trouble see the backlit keys through the rose gold in a bright or sunny room.  At night, or with lights dim, it's fine.  

I really like the backlit key feature.

I will be buying something with charcoal grey or darker next time.