Honored Contributor

Re: Keto Walnuts

[ Edited ]

@wagirl wrote:

this keto thing confuses me--what makes those nuts keto?

The Nu Trail Keto Walnuts, @wagirl?  The main goal of keto is to keep insulin low and consistent. Carbs demand insulin. Sugar has a high glycemic index and demands a lot of insulin. The carb counts can vary in nuts, so one needs to be mindful of that. Walnuts are on the low end carb wise, so they're good besides other benefits they offer. Traditionally, glazed or candied nuts are sweetened with sugar.  The Nu Trail nuts are sweetened with a combination of monk fruit and erythritol.  These sweeteners have a low glycemic index so they won't cause huge insulin spikes.

Honored Contributor

@RespectLife wrote:

@JeanLouiseFinch wrote:

@Goodie2shoes I make my own keto glazed pecans.  I'm sure the method is the same with walnuts.  It's easy. There are recipes on the internet or I can find mine, if you would like it.

@JeanLouiseFinch 

If you wouldn't mind, I would love your recipe!  Prefer a tried and loved recipe over chancing it online.

No rush.

TIA!!

Here ya go, @RespectLife   LMK if you have any questions or need the macro breakdown.

IMG_2043.jpeg                  

Honored Contributor

@JeanLouiseFinch ----well, Keto anything is a mystery to me but thank you for your explanation. I need to look into this just to know about it. 

Honored Contributor

@wagirl wrote:

@JeanLouiseFinch ----well, Keto anything is a mystery to me but thank you for your explanation. I need to look into this just to know about it. 

DH and I  been living the lifestyle for almost four years and love it.  We're seniors now but are very healthy.  

Trusted Contributor

@JeanLouiseFinch, thanks for posting that. I (also a senior) have been on a keto plan for almost 3 years and am the healthiest (and thinnest) I have ever been. I know a lot of people will go on and on about how unhealthy it is and how it is not something people can sustain, but I whole-heartedly disagree. 

Honored Contributor

@Lisa now in AZ wrote:

@JeanLouiseFinch, thanks for posting that. I (also a senior) have been on a keto plan for almost 3 years and am the healthiest (and thinnest) I have ever been. I know a lot of people will go on and on about how unhealthy it is and how it is not something people can sustain, but I whole-heartedly disagree. 

❤️ 🥚❤️ 🥦❤️🥩❤️ 🥑 ❤️ 🥓❤️ 🫒❤️ 🥥❤️🧈❤️

Honored Contributor

@JeanLouiseFinch 

thank you SO much for taking the time to share/post!  Really appreciate it.

Question:  is the sugar sub listed in the recipe a liquid or crystal?

I have the RX crystal and liquid and wondered which to use.

The Keto friendly items are not too friendly to my pocketbook though!   LOL

Thanks again...appreciate your help.

Honored Contributor

@RespectLife wrote:

@JeanLouiseFinch 

thank you SO much for taking the time to share/post!  Really appreciate it.

Question:  is the sugar sub listed in the recipe a liquid or crystal?

I have the RX crystal and liquid and wondered which to use.

The Keto friendly items are not too friendly to my pocketbook though!   LOL

Thanks again...appreciate your help.

@RespectLife   It's granulated. It's up to the user if they want white or brown. I think your Rx granulated (crystal) should work fine.  LMK how it turns out using it.  

Honored Contributor

@JeanLouiseFinch 

Thanks!!!

I just bought brown also....

Honored Contributor

@Goodie2shoes wrote:

@kittyloo  wrote: i'm confused. i just googled carbs in walnuts. there are only 2 net carbs in 1/4 cup walnuts. so what is different/special about these ones that you purchase?   

Sorry for the confusion. They are cinnamon flavored walnuts and pecans and they are sooo good !!   They have definitely helped me to keep my BS down because I snack on them during the day so my carb count does not go overboard  Woman LOL

@Goodie2shoes If you can't find them why not try making them yourself? 

Get some cinnamon and sprinkle it on.  Make sure you get the Ceylon cinnamon which is supposed to be the healthiest. 

If just sprinkling it on isn't satisfactory, maybe you can make a mixture of the cinnamon, butter (grass fed) and some sweetener like monkfruit.  Mix the together and sprinkle on the nuts then bake them for 10-15 minutes.

I'm sure that would be delicious and low carb.