Honored Contributor

Kentucky Derby Winner Tests + For Steroids

From TMZ:

Kentucky Derby winner Medina Spirit was allegedly juiced up when he won the race, because he apparently tested positive for steroids.

The legendary Bob Baffert, the horse's trainer, broke the news Sunday that the test results showed the presence of corticosteroid Betamethasone. It's kinda technical, but the sample came back positive for 21 picograms of the drug. It's used as an anti-inflammatory.

This means the horse could be disqualified. BTW ... Medina Spirit is the only horse in the race to test positive.

Baffert denies doing anything wrong ... "I don't know what's going on, but there's something that is not right.” It's not official till the split sample comes. Usually, we wait for that, but I wanted to get in front of it."

Facts are facts, and this would be Baffert's 5th medication violation since May, 2020.

The good news for bettors ... they won't have to give their money back. The bad news for Baffert, the trainer and the jockey ... they'll have to return their winnings if their appeal fails.

If Medina Spirit is stripped of the win, it'd be the first DQ since 1968, when Dancer's Image won but was later disqualified for an anti-inflammatory drug.

You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have.
Honored Contributor

Re: Kentucky Derby Winner Tests + For Steroids

For a long time I"ve felt there was something sketchy about Baffert, especially but not only because of his previous violations.

I'm amazed he's still allowed to enter any horses in any races. Always seemed fake to me from what I've seen on TV and in a couple of interviews.

Wonder if the jockey knew.

Honored Contributor

No offense to anyone here, but I can't watch. 

I'm always worried about the horses.  Falls, etc.

The best of luck and health and safety to all horses.  Heart

'More or less', 'Right or wrong', 'In general', and 'Just thinking out loud ' (as usual).
Esteemed Contributor

@KingstonsMom   nor surprised unfortunately this happens way too much in horse racing and its just disgusting.   To force a horse that Obviously had inflammation from injury probably  in his legs run .   That will cause greater injury as the Horse doesn't feel the pain and is running on an injury.  sickens me and is why when I realized that this goes on at every race track and including the Derby I stopped going and used to love going to the track in the summer .   We akways went to the Saratoga race track every summer and enjoyed it so much,  but not anymore , not at the expense of these beautiful   , gentle animals.  I used to ride when I was younger and horses are amazing creatures!   I wish they would close them all down but I know that won't happen ,   too much$$$ involved all around from owners, trainers and jockeys ..   So very sad 😡😞

Honored Contributor

@Kitty Galore 

I agree with you 1000%.

I feel the same way about greyhound racing and any other 'sport' for the entertainment of humans.

You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have.
Honored Contributor

@Kitty Galore Thank you for your personal insights.  I wish it would be shut down also.

Honored Contributor

@Kitty Galore wrote:

@KingstonsMom   nor surprised unfortunately this happens way too much in horse racing and its just disgusting.   To force a horse that Obviously had inflammation from injury probably  in his legs run .   That will cause greater injury as the Horse doesn't feel the pain and is running on an injury.  sickens me and is why when I realized that this goes on at every race track and including the Derby I stopped going and used to love going to the track in the summer .   We akways went to the Saratoga race track every summer and enjoyed it so much,  but not anymore , not at the expense of these beautiful   , gentle animals.  I used to ride when I was younger and horses are amazing creatures!   I wish they would close them all down but I know that won't happen ,   too much$$$ involved all around from owners, trainers and jockeys ..   So very sad 😡😞

@Kitty Galore 

It happens in every sport there is and they start it beginning at an early age. I used to work in an industry where steroid testing was done and even young kids were taking them.  It's not just horses and dogs, it's people.  This world is on a steroid binge.

Honored Contributor

@ROMARY   A few years ago during the races at the KD a horse broke its leg while running.  He was killed right on the track & it was shown live! Smiley Surprised

"Never argue with a fool. Onlookers may not be able to tell the difference."

220-AuCC-US-CRM-Header-Update.gif

Honored Contributor

I quit watching when that horse was euthanized after breaking its leg.  This is the first year I've even tuned in to hear the winner.  As usual Bob Baffert was being praised by the commentators.  Well, this news has done it for me.  No more horse races, period. Ever.

Honored Contributor

@ROMARY wrote:

No offense to anyone here, but I can't watch. 

I'm always worried about the horses.  Falls, etc.

The best of luck and health and safety to all horses.  Heart

@ROMARY I feel that way when I watch gymnastics.  Especially the really young kids.