Honored Contributor

@SharkE.  I assume you're speaking of the Zachery Museum?  I didnt realize it was open but I see admission is $8., that's not bad.  Before you go, Google and read about Gertrude Zachery.  She was a genuine character.  She built this "castle" which is a mansion in a sort of crummy, non-residential area shortly before she died.  She had a jewelry store for years.  Very interesting person.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

This place I found was 16-22.00 to get in. Think it's on 2nd St.

Looked upscale. They already had the by invitation only soiree and now open to public.

Honored Contributor

@Kachina624 wrote:

@SharkE.  Albuquerque is much bigger than Amarillo plus it has "satellite" cities adjacent which add to the area population.  Rio Rancho is almost 100,000, then there  are Belen, Las Lunas, Corrales, East Mountain area, Placitas.

I' m glad they got a Macy's !!!!!!!!!!!!! Yay !!!!!!!!!!!!!! I miss Macy's from up in Evansville, In. Crappy Amarillo doesn't have enough shopping stores maybe that's why everybody looks so dowdy. Except me of course ! 

ROFLMBO

Honored Contributor
A NEW LOCATION

The Castle

Gertrude Zachary built the castle as her home in 2008 and lived there until her passing in 2013. 

In Spring of 2019 the castle will become the new home for the Turquoise Museum. 

The castle offers 8,000+ Sq Ft. of museum space. 

The Garden and grounds are beautiful.

The castle is centrally located in Downtown Albuquerque.

Honored Contributor

i am butting in here, but if you are out shopping in the santa fe area by chance, check out THE DUKE AND I........one of the owners is fashion designer (and was featured in both qvc and hsn at one time) randolph duke. fantastic shop to browse around.

https://chasingsantafe.blogspot.com/2017/06/the-d-u-k-e-and-i.html

http://finelifestylessw.com/the-duke-and-i/

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Honored Contributor

Thank you for that information. We was at Santa Fe few yrs ago. Also, at Albuqueque few  yrs. ago. I miss that old towne area and wanted to go there again. Hate Mountain time. It's not that far of a drive from Amarillo, Tx. Santa Fe, isn't either for that matter. Think it's 300 miles or so. We don't like long drives any more.

Old Towne area is a jewelry lovers dream ! hubbo, is already in a panic !

LOL

Honored Contributor

Our Macy's on the West side of the river in Cottonwood Mall closed and they've been turning it into a Hobby Lobby.  It may be open by now.  I don't miss it as I always preferred Dillard's.

Midland had poor shopping too, although the ladies there have plenty of money.  It's where the executives in the Permian Basin oil industry live.  They'd get their girlfriends together and jump on Southwest Airlines for a day of shopping in Dallas.  I'd often be on the same late afternoon flights coming back from meetings.  It was like a big cocktail party with everyone roaming up and down the aisles greeting friends.

Honored Contributor

Yeah, my husbands bosses wife goes to Dallas too.

We went to Dallas one time to see South Fork ranch home of 'Dallas' TV show and then we drove in a rented car to Amarillo to hunt for places to

live. He couldn't get out of there fast enough. We're used to 3 lanes max on each side of road not like 6 lanes. He was nervous wreck driving over there once we got on the road to Amarillo he could calm down.

That was back before 2010 when we actually moved. No telling what it's like today. LOL To many people for us and chaos.

Honored Contributor

@SharkE.   Maybe you and Hubbo would like to come during this, the largest Indian pow-wow in the US?  There will be many Indians selling jewelry.

https://news360.com/article/492248366

Honored Contributor

Sounds like fun, but, we're going after Memorial day holiday is out of the way