Super Contributor

Re: KING CHARLES' CLOTHING STYLE

@magicmoodz I so agree! I believe King Charles has always gotten a bad rap......so thanks for your thoughtfulness.

Honored Contributor

He is such a great dresser and so dapper.

Top coat, top hat
And I don't worry 'cause my wallet's fat
Black shades, white gloves
Lookin' sharp, lookin' for love
They come runnin' just as fast as they can
'Cause every girl crazy 'bout a sharp-dressed man
Honored Contributor

Oh, yes, observant @kate2357 !   Cary does full justice to a flawless gray suit....

tctgs-main1.jpg

Honored Contributor

True, Charles is a stylish man; it's no wonder Camilla fell for him.  He seems to favor double-breasted suits.  I'm not a fan, but he wears them well.

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

He was dapper! A great dresser

Respected Contributor

What a fun post, @Oznell -- I wasn't even interested in the subject until I read it.  Thank you!

Honored Contributor

@Tinkrbl44,  Fred Astaire's sartorial influences long pre-dated his rather late arrival in Hollywood, as the excerpt I posted  from Gentleman's Gazette suggested.   Even in his knockabout teens he was a devotee of Brooks Brothers, and his initial style grew out of that.

In vaudeville since a little boy, and a constant traveller, his clothing influences were varied.  Early on, he was very much attracted to British style, and when he and Adele (his dancing partner sister) played London, he was a huge hit among the country house set, and the royals.  He was pals with the tony race track crowd, both in Britain in the Twenties, and in America.  His first wife was from an American racing family, and he hung around with Jeremy Tree and Jock Whitney.

American preppy style, British aristocratic tailoring, the colorful and raffish racing crowd, and the free and easy dance world all went into making his unique look.

Luckily, he was the opposite of a manufactured Hollywood clotheshorse.   In his time, he was universally acknowledged as being a natural style setter--  he just had his own flair.  And that, without having the matinee idol good looks that "helped along" so many others in the biz!

I strongly recommend, for anyone interested, one of the best books on him, his phenomenal career and acclaimed style,  "Fred Astaire--  His Friends Talk"  by Sarah Giles.

Honored Contributor

@Oznell - I enjoyed reading about the King's style, and I enjoyed the pictures. I always did think he dressed well. And I wondered whose style he was following. Maybe his own? He might have picked up ideas from others too. 

I was struck by the picture of the young Charles and Anne - how much Anne resembles her late mother when Queen Elizabeth was younger. 

Respected Contributor

@Oznell 

And Joan Rivers said about King Charles: " . . .   He is so far ahead of his time, and I think he will be a very good monarch.  He is a very smart man and I adore him.”

Twitter 上的Joan Rivers:"Happy birthday to Joan's friend, HRH Prince Charles!  https://t.co/BM27J1BJne" / Twitter

Honored Contributor

@Oznell,

Great pics, he is dapper! Thanks for the post,

Thumbs Up Emoticon - Beautiful Emoji Queen Duvet, transparent png download