Esteemed Contributor

Kentucky Fried Chicken announced on Monday it will become the first fast food company to test a plant-based chicken substitute.

The Beyond Fried Chicken product, developed with Beyond Meat, will debut this week in a limited test in Atlanta, the company said.

"KFC Beyond Fried Chicken is so delicious, our customers will find it difficult to tell that it's plant-based," Kevin Hochman, president and chief concept officer at KFC, said in a statement.

"I think we've all heard 'it tastes like chicken' – well our customers are going to be amazed and say, 'it tastes like Kentucky Fried Chicken!'"

Beyond Meat has partnered with multiple fast food chains, including Carls Jr. and Del Taco, to provide plant-based meat options.

The company went public earlier this year with a strong performance in the stock market.

"KFC is an iconic part of American culture and a brand that I, like so many consumers, grew up with," Beyond Meat founder and CEO Ethan Brown said.

"To be able to bring Beyond Fried Chicken, in all of its KFC-inspired deliciousness to market, speaks to our collective ability to meet the consumer where they are and accompany them on their journey. My only regret is not being able to see the legendary Colonel himself enjoy this important moment."

The move from KFC comes shortly after Burger King launched its own meatless meal, introducing the "Impossible Whopper" nationwide earlier this month.

The eyes through which you see others may be the same as how they see you.
Honored Contributor

Re: KFC Beyond Fried Chicken

Boy, like it or not....the Plant Based Revolution has arrived!

Honored Contributor

Current fad; it'll pass.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Trusted Contributor

While I'm not against plant based products often purchasing those items in the grocery store myself - Are they cooking these items in the same vat that chicken is cooked in?  At that point it defeats the purpose in a way.  

In all honesty if I go to KFC I go for chicken not a plant based product.  

Honored Contributor

Saw the Burger King commercials doing that too with the Whopper.  I'll take my chances with real chicken and beef. 

Honored Contributor

KFC chicken is awful tasting to begin with but fake Frankenfood chicken tops it all. 

If someone is a plant based dieter than wouldn’t eating chemically enhanced fake chicken be a turn-off? Isn’t any kind of meat a real turn off? I fear for the long term effects this will have on our youth years from now. Michael Pollan got it right when he wrote about eating natural food without it be doctored up with grease and chemicals from a lab. Easy pass for our family. 

Honored Contributor

One of the reasons I eat vegetarian is because I dislike the taste of fish,fowl or beast.

I dislike it when someone says some tastes "just like meat".

When I lose the TV controller, it's always in some remote destination.
Respected Contributor

Why do people that don’t eat meat look for something that tastes like meat?🤣

If I were a vegan I wouldn’t want anything to do with fake meat.

That’s just me. 

Honored Contributor

Either I'm going to eat real chicken or no chicken at all. 

I am not interested in something resembling something I won't or don't eat.  That doesn't make sense to me. 

Respected Contributor

What a dumb idea...gross.