Honored Contributor

Re: KFC Beyond Fried Chicken

@CrazyDaisy wrote:

@shoekitty wrote:

You all sound like the kids in the school cafeteria.  Lol, a bunch of adults making faces at a new food.  Lol.  Didnt your moms tell you "people in China are starving"?  Or was it Korea?  

The over processing and unsafe additives (as often found in school cafeteria) is something to make a face over.  People need to know what they are eating and not blindly accept everything as a new food.

Shoekitty

@CrazyDaisy 

well school cafeterias are not where I would look for the healthiest food.  Although some try.  My granddaughter has a bistro at school.  Fresh veggies, salads, vegetarian options with boca burger type things. And baked sweet potatoes, mashed cauliflower too with gravy.   lol..

but actually, my comment was a little jibe at those who don't want to try vegan food.   I should have been more specific.  I eat organic myself.  I am also careful about my organic.  i stick to local. It am picky about the water they use as well to irrigate crops.  I havent eaten at KFC in years.  But I have to tell you it used to be one of my favorite foods in the world.  The extra crispy right out of the fryer!!!!  But my old stomach cant handle the fried foods.  I think its fine to splurge once in a while.

Honored Contributor

I wanted to add,some of the meatless options often has to do with wanting to serve those who refuse to eat meat on religious grounds.  Whether it is the healthiest is incidental.   it can serve those in a pinch who need a meatless meal....fast!  

Some religious vegans need Halal, some Kosher.  But believe me there are some who grab the meatless options, because it is meatless.  I temd to look at ingredients, but am not a total vegan,  so in a pinch when traveling it is easier for me to find something to eat, than someone who is a total , dedicated vegan.

vegan unlike vegetarian is a diet that requires tons of research.  You need your vitamins and protien.  You have to learn how to get them and how much you are getting.  It is not easy.  But it is one that those who stay on it turn into a lifestyle. Especially if they are ethical vegans.  

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@momtochloe wrote:

@sidsmom wrote:

Saw this on Twitter while back.  

Made me giggle.

I know the anti-faction will have a million rebuttals...

but it still makes me giggle.

😆

2B6ECEC7-2B4A-4286-89DC-20D1C7C6540A.jpeg

@sidsmom  I don't know why folks don't want to touch raw chicken as the processing plants have been kind enough to blast it with a chlorine wash in order to ensure safety in case you know the initial processing wasn't handled correctly.

When you have a moment, what are your thoughts on Quorn products?  Are they overprocessed?  I did enjoy their chicken patties back in the day and after I read about that chlorine blast they are looking better to me every day.

Chlorine is banned in the EU for use on chickens. While it may help prevent some causes of disease in humans, there are other problems associated with its use.

Regardless, I thorougly was my hands anything else that has touched raw poultry or meat.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

I read on my Firefox homepage yeseterday that Bill Gates is heavily invested in several of these new "faux" meat companies.  He is very involved in environmental issues and feels that this way of eating will be a boon to help save the planet worldwide (not his exact words).  The boss of Whole Foods said he would rather people just ate "whole foods".   seriously Smiley Very Happy

Honored Contributor

@shoekitty 

I used to eat Quorn back in the mid-00’s but my tummy never liked it.  

Too high in protein.

I would also eat pasta which was advertised ‘higher in protein and

yep...bugged my tummy. I guess Nature was telling me something, yes?  

But yes, Quorn is a processed item like Boca or Gardenburger.  

Fine tune a homemade oat/lentil/bean-type of Burger to your liking &

batch cook a pan/2..and throw in the freezer for weeks.

Cheap, easy, better tasting. 

Let’s discuss the ‘requires ton of research’ comment.

I’ve read the writings of many PB doctors...and not one mentions

the ‘needing’ of vitamins & protein.  We consume TOO much protein

as a nation...only 10% of total calories is all we need. 

Vitamins?  B12, yes.

Maybe D or others if they’re selling something..that’s the tip off.

I’ve never tracked anything on a regular basis to ‘make sure’

I got whatever.   That’s the beauty of a plant based diet. 

🌿💛🌼

Honored Contributor

t@minkbunny wrote:

The boss of Whole Foods said he would rather people just ate "whole foods".   seriously Smiley Very Happy

@minkbunny 

Yeah, John Mackey (CEO Whole Foods) is a HUGE proponent

of a plant-based diet.

It just happens to fall in line with the name of his company

but there are plenty of nutritional icky at Whole Foods. 

Honored Contributor

It's an option and choice.  I intend to try it and my vegan sister and her daughter think it great.  Fast food places are not healthy and a steady diet of this food certainly is frowned upon by the health community.  I am not a vegan but I eat very little red meat because it causes stomach discomfort .  I do like chicken but always roast or bake it, do not fry.

I'm sure there are those people who will stick to the regular foods which is their choice.  We are all entitled to our opinions of these new food items and we all have a choice whether to eat them or not.  So for those who prefer the regular fare, that is fine.  For those who want to try the new fast food offerings, that is fine too.  

Honored Contributor

@sidsmom wrote:

@shoekitty 

Too high in protein.

Vitamins?  B12, yes.

🌿💛🌼

Shoekitty said

Thats because you probably studied plant based diets, and read about benefits. Dont take your knowledge for granite.  You have to learn about what you eat, where it comes from, and whats in it.  I think every one who responded to ithis thread is very aware of the food they eat because they have read and learned over the years.  I think it does require a little research, then learn as you go for many people. Many young vegans to be start out being ignorant of basic nutrition.  Its not taught in school. iI think everyone reading this post knows about nutrition, because we are a little older and have read so much about diets!!!   Kids and many young adults not so much.  So many times, especially growing kids decide one day to become vegan.  I ihave 3 young adults I know Of and will use as an example.  One day they decide.   They wind up eating same things, mashed potaoes vegan gravy, they dont like all veggies so they eat salads, maybe cereal, spaghetti with vegan sauce.  They don't like beyond meat, most veggies, no meat, no dairy. They dont cook, and are on budget.  They go to jack n the box and get a burger without the burger, and soda   And snack on gummy bears and chips.  Lol. No kidding. although I pointed out the sauce at jack in the box might have mayo in it.  Lol. They didnt  know they could eat tofu. They loose tons of weight, get dry hair, brittle nails.  Many new vegans just eat junk food.  They do.  No wonder after 6 months to a year they fall off the wagon.  It takes a little nutrition knowledge that most of us learn by being over 23. My grandkids learned from me, (my daughters are awful nutritionist.) but it didn't stick until they were on their own, a little older and start caring about their health. 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@shoekitty wrote:

@sidsmom wrote:

@shoekitty 

Too high in protein.

Vitamins?  B12, yes.

🌿💛🌼

Shoekitty said

Thats because you probably studied plant based diets, and read about benefits. Dont take your knowledge for granite.  You have to learn about what you eat, where it comes from, and whats in it.  I think every one who responded to ithis thread is very aware of the food they eat because they have read and learned over the years.  I think it does require a little research, then learn as you go for many people. Many young vegans to be start out being ignorant of basic nutrition.  Its not taught in school. iI think everyone reading this post knows about nutrition, because we are a little older and have read so much about diets!!!   Kids and many young adults not so much.  So many times, especially growing kids decide one day to become vegan.  I ihave 3 young adults I know Of and will use as an example.  One day they decide.   They wind up eating same things, mashed potaoes vegan gravy, they dont like all veggies so they eat salads, maybe cereal, spaghetti with vegan sauce.  They don't like beyond meat, most veggies, no meat, no dairy. They dont cook, and are on budget.  They go to jack n the box and get a burger without the burger, and soda   And snack on gummy bears and chips.  Lol. No kidding. although I pointed out the sauce at jack in the box might have mayo in it.  Lol. They didnt  know they could eat tofu. They loose tons of weight, get dry hair, brittle nails.  Many new vegans just eat junk food.  They do.  No wonder after 6 months to a year they fall off the wagon.  It takes a little nutrition knowledge that most of us learn by being over 23. My grandkids learned from me, (my daughters are awful nutritionist.) but it didn't stick until they were on their own, a little older and start caring about their health. 

@shoekitty 

People, in general, can be fairly ignorant with their food choices

no matter what age!

But therefore, the knowledge one has as a ‘new vegan’,

eating junk food & blaming the food when getting sick will eat

animal based foods, eating junk food & then blame...well they’ll

probably blame the vegan diet they stopped doing months ago!

Giggle.

My point is...if one eats cr.appy food, it doesn’t matter if the junk

is from an animal or not...it’s icky food. Instead of “losing weight,

getting dry hair & brittle nails,” the standard MO of a young adult

is to gain 15lbs (Freshman 15), get high blood pressure & continue

down the path of cholesterol, heart disease & diabetes with animal 

products. 

If one has a little common sense, they’ll figure it out.

Starch, vegetable, fruit, beans...it’s really simple as that.

An Ode to Spudtember coming up...Andrew Taylor aka ‘Spudfit’

spent a whole year (365 days) eating nothing but potatoes.

He had labs run throughout the year....no deficiences.

Just shows the Power of the Potato!  The Perfect Food! 

Honored Contributor

@sidsmom 

i so agree!  I have learned one thing leads to another. I had a amazing journey (to me anyway) becoming ill.  I discovered when I stopped eating certain foods I felt better. all the bloating I had was due to certain foods. it is a journey.  Now I eat when I want, what I want. It is all about what I eat for me.