Honored Contributor

I see it a lot on facebook. People lose so much weight. Any thoughts?

CATS ARE HEAVEN SENT
Regular Contributor

Re: KETO ANYONE?

[ Edited ]

Over on the Wellness boards there is a long thread called KETO SHARING. Lots of thoughts

Also, not everyone loses weight fast, how old. how healthy/not healthy , how well you adapt will vary by person.

Ketogenic diet is not meant to be a diet more a way of life to improve your metabolism, protect your hormones, and lower inflammation.

Actually the best resource I can recommend is a web site called diet doctor dot com  - lots of free resources.

Respected Contributor

Some time ago, I saw Jillian Michaels (trainer from 'Biggest Loser' show) say that it's really not a healthy way to release weight.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

For me it was an easy diet to follow.  I lost weight really fast...almost 100 lbs.

Caused me to lose my gall bladder, caused an irregular heartbeat and low potassium. I was passing out and my breath was terrrible.

I got really sick on it and my doctors forced me to give it up...I fought tooth and nail and denied the diet was the cause of all my medical problems.  Finally,I went off of it and there is no lasting effects, except my gall bladder being gone.

It would probably be okay if you only have a few pounds to lose, but it can be dangerous to be on it a long time.  It can cause kidney problems, which I never had.

I forgot to mention, my Keto diet was medically supervised.  I wasn't winging it.  I got weekly blood and urine tests while on it.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Keto means different things to people.  I eat as low carb as possible for my blood sugar and do not worry about eating good fats.  A positive aspect of keto is that it  tends to kill hunger and tame cravings.  I have lost weight but slowly.

@JeanLouiseFinch is a keto master.

QVC Customer Care

This post has been removed by QVC because it is argumentative

Respected Contributor

@Carmie wrote:

For me it was an easy diet to follow.  I lost weight really fast...almost 100 lbs.

Caused me to lose my gall bladder, caused an irregular heartbeat and low potassium. I was passing out and my breath was terrrible.

I got really sick on it and my doctors forced me to give it up...I fought tooth and nail and denied the diet was the cause of all my medical problems.  Finally,I went off of it and there is no lasting effects, except my gall bladder being gone.

It would probably be okay if you only have a few pounds to lose, but it can be dangerous to be on it a long time.  It can cause kidney problems, which I never had.

I forgot to mention, my Keto diet was medically supervised.  I wasn't winging it.  I got weekly blood and urine tests while on it.

Wow! So glad you got off the Keto train. Thanks for sharing your experience. Cautionary tale for sure.

Esteemed Contributor

@tansy is right. I eat very low carb (consistently) and I have easily kept off 90 lbs that I lost 8 years ago. All of my medical markers or metrics improved and have remained excellent since going super low carb. I highly recommend going low carb. You can call it keto  or Atkins or whatever you like.

Trusted Contributor

My extent of doing the keto diet was putting the mtc oil in my coffee.  I don't eat bread or hamburger buns or cakes, cookies or chips but it's hard to eat primarily protein.  I eat a lot of cereal.  I like the new Grain Berry that was developed at A & M University and I like to eat oatmeal and I eat a lot of vegetables.  So, if I'm not mistaken that is not how the keto diet is supposed to work.  

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@catlover wrote:

I see it a lot on facebook. People lose so much weight. Any thoughts?

Be careful of who you follow on Facebook.  Some of those groups are pushing exogenous ketones and other products you don’t need.  There are a lot of “Speed keto” groups too.  Not all groups are bad, you just have to be discerning.  True keto, by definition, is a high healthy fat, moderate protein, very low carb way of eating (75%:20%:5%). Tracking macros is super important, so is taking a good electrolyte supplement.  People will use the terms “dirty keto” or “lazy keto” but they are more of a low carb way of eating and not true keto at all.  With keto, you have to be all in or all out, IMO.  You need to be educated on ingredients and be a diligent label reader.  Don’t believe marketing labels. Our bodies can only operate on one fuel source at a time so you have to pick a lane - either sugar/glucose or fat/ketones.  Combining both is a recipe for disaster.  Done correctly, the keto WOE is more than a temporary weight loss tool.  It’s a lifestyle that is healthy for your gut & brain.  It reduces inflammation, can reverse diabetes in some people.  Don’t get me wrong, the weight loss is rewarding but so are all the benefits.  I’ve been following the keto WOE since June 2019.  I’ve lost 126 lbs. and feel better than I have most of my adult life.  Most doctors and NP’s don’t really know a lot about keto.  They know what they’ve been taught in medical school about the food pyramid.  

It can sound overwhelming at first, but it soon settles into a routine.  My husband follows it with me. We eat delicious foods, including desserts and treats, and aren’t missing out on anything.

See if you can find the documentary The Magic Pill on Netflix or YouTube.  It had a big impact on me.  

if you have any questions, tag me. I’m happy to help you. 😊