Esteemed Contributor

Be careful of who you listen to.  Social media sites, including shopping channel message boards, are not reliable sources of information.  If interested would suggest talking to your doctor to determine what might be best for you.  Everyone has unique health issues that should be considered.

Someday, when scientists discover the center of the Universe....some people will be disappointed it is not them.
Respected Contributor

TELL-TALE SIGNS OF FAD DIETS (Mayo Clinic)

• They promise rapid weight loss. If a plan promises losses of more than 2 pounds a week, proceed with caution.
  • They require eliminating foods. Beware of diets that claim entire food groups, such as carbs, are bad. You need a variety of foods to get the nutrition your body needs.
  • They have rigid rules. Some fad diets require purchasing expensive meal replacement products, such as protein shakes or weight loss bars. Others may emphasize eating predominantly one type of food, such as meat, grapefruit or cabbage soup.
  • They severely restrict calories. You’ll lose weight anytime you severely restrict your calories. But this extreme approach is unhealthy and unsustainable. Calories are the fuel your body needs to function.
“The soul is healed by being with children.”
— Fyodor Dostoyevsky
Frequent Contributor

A doctor told me that a lot of people die on Keto. Just a simple remark he made when I told him I was on Keto. Well, I thought a lot of people die, period. 

I was on it for a long while. Not strictly. Just a diet actually for Diabetes. It does remarkably well subduidng cravings, and you do slowly lose weight. 

My weight was perfect under Keto, but I went off and gained 5 lbs. during Covid. For a month now I've been trying hard to take off the 5 lbs. Not successful. I'm off Keto and the 5 lbs. are sticking like glue. 

I'm going back on soon to get rid of just 5 lbs. 

Frequent Contributor

@mom2four0418 wrote:

• They promise rapid weight loss. If a plan promises losses of more than 2 pounds a week, proceed with caution.
  • They require eliminating foods. Beware of diets that claim entire food groups, such as carbs, are bad. You need a variety of foods to get the nutrition your body needs.
  • They have rigid rules. Some fad diets require purchasing expensive meal replacement products, such as protein shakes or weight loss bars. Others may emphasize eating predominantly one type of food, such as meat, grapefruit or cabbage soup.
  • They severely restrict calories. You’ll lose weight anytime you severely restrict your calories. But this extreme approach is unhealthy and unsustainable. Calories are the fuel your body needs to function.

You can lose weight slowly on a Keto/Diabetic diet by just a low carb diet. You can lower your AC down to 5.0 on Keto w/o giving up anything. You don't have to give up anything. For lots of fruit and veggies, you can take the Q's Eight Greens.  

Honored Contributor

@febe2 wrote:

@mom2four0418 wrote:

You can lose weight slowly on a Keto/Diabetic diet by just a low carb diet. You can lower your AC down to 5.0 on Keto w/o giving up anything. You don't have to give up anything. For lots of fruit and veggies, you can take the Q's Eight Greens.  

Unfortunately your recommendation isn’t true. The goal of the ketogenic diet is to keep insulin low and consistent.  Certain fruits and veggies are high in starch and sugar, and will cause insulin to spike, thus kicking one out of ketosis.  There are many keto friendly options within limits.  

Honored Contributor

While I'm not doing Keto, I've decided to cut way back on carbs.  I'm feeling better already after doing this for a few weeks.

Esteemed Contributor

@catlover- A cousin of mine was following KETO for a while and lost a large amount of weight.  She couldn't sustain the eating lifestyle of KETO and stopped.  She gained the weight back.

Do your research to find the best plan for you.

Honored Contributor

Re: KETO ANYONE?

[ Edited ]

@JeanLouiseFinch wrote:

@febe2 wrote:

@mom2four0418 wrote:

Unfortunately your recommendation isn’t true. The goal of the ketogenic diet is to keep insulin low and consistent.  Certain fruits and veggies are high in starch and sugar, and will cause insulin to spike, thus kicking one out of ketosis.  There are many keto friendly options within limits.  

@JeanLouiseFinch A person can keep their insulin low without resorting to a high fat ketogenic diet. Reducing/eliminating refined sugar can accomplish similar results without the downside of being in ketosis 24 hours a day.

I tried a ketogenic diet and it resulted in proteinuria, high LDL, low HDL and lactic acidosis. I was hospitalized and abandoned the diet. I still eat a low carb diet but avoid ketosis. I am very slender but try and eat from all food groups. My LDL is low now and my kidneys are functioning normally. 

Respected Contributor

@JeanLouiseFinch 

Butter

Cheese

Saturated fats from meats

are not healthy, no matter how it's spun.

Not healthy for the heart, liver, or breast tissue. I don't judge those that love it, buy into it, or follow it.

I just know it's not a healthy ideology for me.

Honored Contributor

@GinzTonic 

"a calorie deficit is a must". For some this is not "a must", for most? Yes. Were I to go by caloric intake only to choose and decide what I wanted to weigh at a given time, I would fail. My reasons are different than a large majority of those wanting to choose their best weight.

Unfortunately for those that choose to lose fat weight, by caloric intake only, fat is not the only tissue lost. Along with fat loss comes muscle tissue loss, which almost never is considered to be a good thing.

This goes back to my other post stating: Eat less/Move more. In my opinion, way too many wanting to lose fat weight, choose going the caloric route only. This accommodates the "input" side of the equation".

Very few choose to do it the way I have for decades. For me it is almost the complete opposite. There have been many times that "output" was my only interest in reaching my desired weight and body composition goals.

Reducing calories(fuel in) as opposed to increasing caloric "output" is a much faster and less effortless way to accomplish one's scale weight goal. My preference has always been "body composition first", "scale body weight" the very last. 

My view is those wishing to change scale numbers would be better served by thinking about incorporating both. Very few of the hundreds I have spoken with over decades about weight loss, and control, mention caloric output to me.

The "go to" is almost always centered around "calories in", and I have a feeling it probably always will be. In the 1 way you "quit" doing something. In the other way you physically "start" doing something, which most do not want to choose.

hckynut 

hckynut(john)