Respected Contributor

Re: KALE: Like It Or Leave It?

On 6/9/2014 NoelSeven said:
On 6/9/2014 SydneyH said:
On 6/9/2014 i like celery said:

I eat kale a lot. I also really like quinoa. ;-)

Noel, OT but do you watch Orphan Black?

When we go there, I'd like to hear your suggestions for prepping Quinoa.

I'd like to know, too. Let's go there {#emotions_dlg.w00t}

Sydney and Noel, I'm just now seeing your posts. I, too, make a lot of cold and hot salads with quinoa, similar to what Irshgrl already posted. I usually add lemon or lime, olive oil, balsamic vinegar, garlic, salt and pepper. Veggies that I add are usually whatever I happen to have, and have included some of the following: spinach, tomatoes, cucumbers, olives, red onion, zucchini, peas, asparagus, etc. Chickpeas, too. Also, I usually add basil or cilantro or sometimes cumin. Sometimes I'll just cook quinoa in a vegetable broth. I've been wanting to try adding feta, but haven't yet. It does sound really good.

Another way I sometimes eat quinoa is for breakfast - I add almond milk and ceylon cinnamon, and sometimes walnuts. I like it. :-)

(edited to correct formatting)

♥ Life is beauty full ♥
Trusted Contributor

I love kale- one of my top green vegetables. However- it has to be fresh. I don't like it prepackaged in the bags or frozen. One vegetarian tv cook showed me the secret. Only use the leaves. I remove the stems and only use the leafy part. I stirfry it with onions, mushrooms, grilled tofu and sometimes potatoes.

Respected Contributor

There was a buffet-style restaurant near where I work that always had Kale. I would always take some, because I figured it had vitamins, but never developed a taste for it. But, I see it can be "doctored up" with some nice ingredients, so I think I'll try making it at home.

Esteemed Contributor

Love it!

Keepin' it real.
Esteemed Contributor

On 6/9/2014 wookie said: I like it any which way it's cooked. We usually steam a big mess of it in a little chicken broth. It might be a regional thing, but Kale has been sold in grocery stores here for decades. They used to sell it loose, in a big bin. I've noticed recently, you either have to buy it in a bag, or small bunches. No one sells it loose anymore.

You don't know where to shop.

Keepin' it real.
Honored Contributor

I've heard that it's bitter. Haven't tried it, and wouldn't know what it is if I saw it, lol.........I'm not a fan of veggies anyway......

'More or less', 'Right or wrong', 'In general', and 'Just thinking out loud ' (as usual).