Esteemed Contributor

Re: KALE: Like It Or Leave It?

It is not bad. It's not my favorite green, but I will eat it.

Honored Contributor

On 6/9/2014 lulu2 said:

Not a fan. It's kind of bitter. I do throw it in soup.

Good idea, soup! Just got the ingredients for a tortellini and spinach in broth soup I'm going to make this week, I'll add kale Smile

A Thrill Of Hope The Weary World Rejoices
Esteemed Contributor

I love kale and eat it almost every single day. I usually have it in a smoothie once a day along with lots of other foods (berries) high in antioxidants.

I also make my own kale chips. It took a while to get them the way I wanted but now I have it down.

I also have it sauteed in a little olive oil and garlic, put it in soups and much the same way you do in with pasta. My husband loves it also and if we don't have kale then we have spinach for dinner almost every single night. I really love them both and actually crave them. This thread is making me hungry for a little sauteed spinach with a little olive oil, butter and garlic. I could eat that stuff every single day.

I find people sometimes don't like the first way they try it and give up. Sometimes it takes a couple of different cooking variations to find a way you will like it.

Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.
JFK
Respected Contributor

I grew up eating kale, as my parents grew it in the garden...along with Swiss chard and escarole.

I tear it up in little pieces or chiffonade it and put in salad,soups, or saute the way you did, Noel.

There are different varieties of kale. Some are less bitter, to me, at least.

We are inundated with it here at the Farmers markets.

My favorite local restaurant makes what they call a Brutus Salad...roasted kale, garlic. Super good, especially if you love garlic!

If you have a garden and a library, you have everything you need.--Marcus Tullius Cicero
Respected Contributor

I buy a big bag of chopped kale at Wegmans, and toss some on top of frozen ravioli meals I prepare. Then I clip the bag and throw it back into the freezer to use when I prepare more. It's also good to add to frozen soups as they're being reheated.

What worries you masters you.
Esteemed Contributor

I bought kale once and made kale "chips."

Really, don't waste your time.

Trust me {#emotions_dlg.thumbdown}

"That's a great first pancake."
Lady Gaga, to Tony Bennett
Honored Contributor

On 6/9/2014 Free2be said:

Hi Noel! My grocery deli makes a "Super Food Salad" with kale that is delicious. I've copied the ingredients and made it several times: Kale chopped small, grapes, walnuts, grated carrot, red onion, cherry tomatoes, chopped apple with skin on with a light dressing like raspberry which adds just enough flavor without overwhelming the others.

Also last time at Costco I bought a bag of "stir fry" greens and carrots in the refrigerated room -- delicious. Comes with stir fry sauce. Just added grilled steak strips for a meal. 1 bag easily makes two meals for two or three.

Thanks for all that information, Free, I basically don't know what to do with it. I like the idea of a chopped salad, which I haven't made before. DH and I both have blueberries on cereal every morning, another power food, and sliced apples with the skin on every afternoon.

I will definitely look for the Costco stir-fry greens, thanks for mentioning it Smile

Esteemed Contributor

On 6/9/2014 Marienkaefer2 said:

I grew up eating kale, as my parents grew it in the garden...along with Swiss chard and escarole.

I tear it up in little pieces or chiffonade it and put in salad,soups, or saute the way you did, Noel.

There are different varieties of kale. Some are less bitter, to me, at least.

We are inundated with it here at the Farmers markets.

My favorite local restaurant makes what they call a Brutus Salad...roasted kale, garlic. Super good, especially if you love garlic!

It was a staple growing up in my house too so I just kept fixing it the way my mom did which I already knew I liked. She was big on all kinds of greens as well and I still love them sometimes with just a little vinegar is the way it taste the best to me.

Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.
JFK
Honored Contributor

On 6/9/2014 winamac1 said:

I don't like it, but my husband likes it. It is extremely healthy! It has tons of calcium and most veggies don't have a lot of calcium. It's bitter. I prefer broccoli.

It kind of smelled funny, too, but once it was mixed in the stir-fry it was delicious and no odor. I'm with GeoBushSenior, I cannot take broccoli. I try and try, and always gag a little. I'm shocked by myself, because I love most veg.

Honored Contributor

On 6/9/2014 wookie said: I love kale. I think it's mild as far as greens go, and the only type I like.

Do you have it mostly in salad, wookie?