Respected Contributor

Re: Just when you think you've heard it all...

@BirkiLady wrote:

@panda1234  Why did you allow them to camp out day in and day out. They sound like lawsuits waiting to happen. Were they self-paying? I dought it!

I'm so sorry to hear of this mess. I'm not aware of any lawsuits in the 13 years we had mom in Assisted Living and one year in Skilled Care.

Yes, we checked. But the care mom received was outstanding OR we would have moved her!

When there were problems (in the first 2-3 months), they were addressed in our monthly meetings (or a special meeting, if necessary). Nothing festered or was left hidden by either side. Both sides worked diligently to resolve the issues for mom's best health care. The communication worked well for everyone concerned.

Don't know about other families and how they handled their problems. I didn't ask and stayed out of the gossip mill.  

@BirkiLady  Sounds like your mom was in a good facility, good to know they exist. Family can come and go as they please. We have a few that even come with a cooler that has their food for the day.  The one rule we have is no spending the night unless the resident is actively dying. 

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@panda1234  Do the employees and management find it disconcerting to have people hanging around for hours on end? I've never seen such nonsense. Don't those people have lives of their own? They aren't doing their loved one any good (IMO). I would imagine other families fine it annoying! Doesn't someone ever complain about the constant visiting and disruption?

The only time we took food in was for holidays (after mom was too ill to go out with our family). We always reserved a Conference Room and notified the kitchen staff so they would provide us with plates, silverware, coffee, tea, and water. No messes in mom's room ever and we weren't invading the dining room with our family.

We would pick up a full meal for birthdays, special family events, and holidays (mom loved a good filet with her favorite side dishes). We each would order whatever we wanted, as well. 

For Thanksgiving, Christmas and Easter we did eat in the large, formal dining room with the other resident's and their families, but it was crowded and a fast-turnover to get everyone in and out. We much preferred our own family in a Conference Room where we could take pictures, relax, and enjoy our time together for 1 1/2 hours. Then mom would begin to tire and we'd clean up the room, return the dishes and I'd take mom back to her own room and get her settled for a nap. And off we'd go to our own homes.  Any left-over dessert would be given to the staff. 

Money screams; wealth whispers.
Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@BirkiLady wrote:

@panda1234  Do the employees and management find it disconcerting to have people hanging around for hours on end? I've never seen such nonsense. Don't those people have lives of their own? They aren't doing their loved one any good (IMO). I would imagine other families fine it annoying! Doesn't someone ever complain about the constant visiting and disruption?

The only time we took food in was for holidays (after mom was too ill to go out with our family). We always reserved a Conference Room and notified the kitchen staff so they would provide us with plates, silverware, coffee, tea, and water. No messes in mom's room ever and we weren't invading the dining room with our family.

We would pick up a full meal for birthdays, special family events, and holidays (mom loved a good filet with her favorite side dishes). We each would order whatever we wanted, as well. 

For Thanksgiving, Christmas and Easter we did eat in the large, formal dining room with the other resident's and their families, but it was crowded and a fast-turnover to get everyone in and out. We much preferred our own family in a Conference Room where we could take pictures, relax, and enjoy our time together for 1 1/2 hours. Then mom would begin to tire and we'd clean up the room, return the dishes and I'd take mom back to her own room and get her settled for a nap. And off we'd go to our own homes.  Any left-over dessert would be given to the staff. 

@BirkiLady  The people that hang out all  day are retired or they do not have jobs, their spouse works. We really can not say anything unless they are being difficult to the staff. It is their right to be there until bedtime. It is nice that you reserve the conference room for special occasions. It makes it so much easier on the resident and nicer for the family. I must say those leftover desserts are greatly appreciated by the staff. They must look forward to your family celebrations. It sounds like you are a considerate family, wish we had some like you.