Highlighted
Honored Contributor

Just venting..not a happy camper

Long story...sorry.

As I have mentioned on here many times, we have a large RV permanently on land by a Lake.  We spend most of our summers there.

A few times we have invited guests to join us and my children with their family will go there with or without us.  We have never allowed anyone, except our children to use the place when we weren't there.

Two weeks ago, my DH informed me that someone he is friends with ( from work.) asked to use the RV.  He was put on the spot and was hoping this guy would like our place and get an RV of his own and put it at the Lake too so they could pal around together.

We were scheduled to be there the week before last, and I wasn't thrilled about it, but by that time, I had no choice. So, we stayed home and this couple went.

On Sunday night a week ago, this couple knocked on our door.  I have never met them before.  They had a laundry basket with dirty bed, kitchen and bath linens and beach towels. They dropped them off for me to wash and return the next time we went to the lake. The linens are mine.

I was surprised.  I would have laundered them first before I dropped them off, but figured they had no manners. Also, a sweatshirt that belong to my hubby was clearly worn by one of them was in the laundry basket too.

In with the dirty laundry were the shams to the master bed.  I asked the wife why she brought them to me.  She said her DH slept on them and they were now dirty.

I felt myself getting hot.  Those shams get dry cleaned.  Why didn't he remove them or use the other pillows on the bed that had clean pillow cases on them?

This past Saturday, we drove to the lake to return the linens and cut the grass and check on things.  The place looked okay....not as clean as I leave it and the beds were not made.  I always put clean linens on the bed before I leave so the next time we go, everything is fresh and clean and ready to be used.  So we made the beds and straightened up.  I made dinner before we drove home.

I noticed that food was missing from my freezer.  I have a small chest freezer and also a full size refrigerator in our shed.  A few weeks ago, we purchased six very expensive steaks because we were planning on having some friends join us for dinner.  Instead, we went out to a restaurant, so I froze the steaks.  Three of them were gone and some chicken was missing too.  I was okay with that.  I am sure they used food from the cupboards too.

Well, fast forward to 15 minutes ago.  I got a call from the wife who said she left a bag of  salad mix in the refrigerator in the veggie drawer.  She asked if I saw it.  I did not.

So, she told me that it is there and we should go ahead and eat it.  She said my DH could pay her DH for it the next time they saw each other. What?!  

I told her we do not eat prepackaged salad mix  and I was not going to pay for it.  This salad mix has been in the fridge a whole week now and we won't be back until this weekend.

So, out of the blue,  she got an attitude and raised her voice at me.  I just listened and said nothing....until she said, "next year, I will make sure to get everything out when we leave because you are a thief"

I calmly said, you are not invited to come back next year and hung up the phone.

I am in shock.  They got a free weeks vacation with free groceries included as well as laundry service and they want us to pay for a salad mix?

I should send them the drying cleaning bill.

I can't wait to tell my DH about the call. He won't be inviting anyone to our place again...ever.

Esteemed Contributor

Re: Just venting..not a happy camper

you can't fix STUPID!!!

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

We used our friends house on Martha's Vineyard this Summer, we brought our own food, emptied the fridge before we left and our own linen and treated the house like our home as we do all rental properties we use.

I guess they thought the had the run of the house

Stop being afraid of what could go wrong and start being positive what could go right.
Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

Grrrrrrr😡

DH knows he’d better check with me first before ever 

inviting anyone for anything.I think I would have had him call them and say sorry but the place won’t be available.

Respected Contributor

Lesson learned. Our guesthouse next to our lake home is for family and close friends only. Period. Everything is in perfect shape, and I gather linens and towels to launder here after a visit. Easy. My cleaning lady does the rest, 

Honored Contributor

If I was to direct ire to anyone, it would towards the husband.

Any ill circumstances coming from this situation lies

solely on his shoulders. Why would anyone open their 

home like that?  

And after I found out?

I would have immediately called them to cancel their visit.

Are you sure your husband didn’t get payment for their visit

and didn’t say anything to you? 

Honored Contributor

Rude and crude people right from the start to even ask to use your place.  A life learning experience.  Dont ever let anyone use or rent your place again.

BE THE PERSON YOUR DOG THINKS YOU ARE! (unknown)
Honored Contributor

@Carmie- I'd have said a lot more than you did.  For instance, that I would "deduct" the price of the leftover salad mix from the food they used, the laundry bills you were stuck with, the cleaning lady you had to pay after their slobbish visit and that I would be sending them a bill for the balance!

It doesn't surprise me that there are such crass and entitled people in the world.  But my DH knows his life wouldn't be worth living, if he ever did something like that to me.  Smiley Mad

Honored Contributor

My DH is a very kind man and no, he did not take any payment.  He does auto work and household handyman chores for lots of people..never charges.  I still give some people haircuts at no charge.  We were both raised to be giving.  We never charge for being kind.

We are very generous people, but we got stung many years ago, by DH's boss who wanted to live in our home with himself family for two weeks while we're on vacation and I said NO. Their house was getting repairs after a flood.  My DH got fired from his job because of it and turned down for unemployment.  We had a really tough time for months after that. 

He always said we should have let them stay.

I am 100% positive he will not be allowing anyone to say at our place while we are not there again.  Yes, I am ticked off at him.  He heard me sound off the whole week we had to stay home while " those people" were there.

i think he is going to  get an earful tonight too.  Too bad he has to work with the fellow.  He is going to be in the middle no matter where he turns.

Contributor

@Venezia

Girl-friend Venezia, THAT'S WHAT I'M TALKIN' ABOUT!!  Some people are too nice for their own good! 

My hubby knows to ask me first and foremost regarding anything to do with other people using our property and the answer would have been NO anyway!