Honored Contributor

Just sharing - Phone call to "Apple" today ...a SCAM...(long)

A friend of mine was having issues with her IPhone and Ipad she went to Apple store today in NJ.  Apparently, they have just re-opened.

She said they were packed with people and the Apple Concierge told her she could get appointment in 2 weeks.  She said I'll come back.

As they were walking out she said the store "security guard"  told her HE could give her direct number to call to get repair and speak to Apple "genius".  They work 24/7 and could help her

Honestly, all the times I've been to Apple store I've never seen a security guard.  Although, maybe now we are a "masked" society maybe necessary to "hire" security guards thru a service which are really anybody with a "uniform".  

Fast forward, she came home and called the number.  She proceeds to tell him her personal info, serial numbers, device passwords and problems.  He then tells her "there is a $200 charge EACH for her Iphone & Ipad to run diagnostic but will be refunded within 15 minutes of completion of call."😳😳😳😳.  (She didn't even realize she was being scammed😠)

The "Apple rep" tells her he needs her credit card info to assign the call a "tech ticket".  She tells him she needs to get her CC -- 

Her spouse overheard the conversation and questions what she needs cc for.  She tells him the he said "put that on speaker & tell him you want his location and name".

He told her he was "based at Apple call center in Phillipines" and his name was Henry Williams.  I can't repeat what her spouse said but it was not pleasant.😉

If her spouse hadn't overhead the conversation she would have given her CC information to a "Scammer" its bad enough she had already given her personal info.

This is absolutely disgusting and I'm sharing because how many "unsuspecting" people will fall for this scam considering stores have been closed for months.

When she told me I couldn't believe she had never called Apple (I think I have 1-800-my apple on speed dial).  I have never been asked to supply cc info.

Her spouse called Apple and they submitted to their fraud unit.

Just sharing as new "scams" everyday!!!

Honored Contributor

Re: Just sharing - Phone call to "Apple" today ...a SCAM...(long)

@homedecor1    Hard to believe somebody would have the audicity to dress up as a security guard and pull such krap on Apple property.  The need real security guards to run off the phony ones.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Respected Contributor

@homedecor1 We get calls on a regular basis from Apple, Inc.  If you call the number back, it is a valid Apple number.  However, these are really calls from someone else trying to get our personal information.

Honored Contributor

@Kachina624 

I don't think they were "dressed up" per se most likely they are a unqualified young person.  They have no police powers.  I think they are only there for "crowd control" -- they do nothing more!

When I go to do banking at BOA they have this slinky, young kid about 19 years old, unarmed, masked and he always looks nervous as he opens the door.  He is unarmed and hired through the XYZ security guard company.  What good is he to me..now 

At our credit union there is a armed security person at the door.  He resembles someone who has law enforcement background just the way he "patrols" the area! JMO

show me a full uniformed sheriff or cop at door with gun & dressed in full gear  then I'll feel safe😉

Honored Contributor

@Linmo 

yes she said this but how?  the number reflects US yet connects to a out of country person🤷‍♀️v

Honored Contributor

We had a very badly produced robo call from "Amazon" on Saturday, and the phone # WAS AN AMAZON number, BUT NOT FUNCTIONAL when I tried it. 

I watched my account, and NO CHARGE was listed. Another scam. If these repulsive vermin actually applied their brilliance to something HONEST, they could make worthwhile contributions to humankind.

NOT in THIS WORLD.

Highlighted
Trusted Contributor

@Linmo  I got the same call about a year ago. I didn't recognize the number so I didn't answer the phone. They left a message leaving a completely different number for callback. I knew it was a scam because Apple never calls you unless you intiate the call and leave a number for callback rather than stay on hold. The number on my caller ID really was Apple so I called them  and reported it. The CS rep told me that they had received other calls about this. Just remember, Apple NEVER calls its customers.

Honored Contributor

JMO, they should have gone back to the store to speak with the store manager.

Esteemed Contributor

I got a weird email a couple of weeks ago that looked like it was from Apple but wasn't.  It said it was a receipt from App Store for $19.99 for a pool game and click here if I didn't order the pool game app.  I didn't click and there were no charges to my credit card, so I ignored it.

The nearby Apple store has lots of employees standing around and interacting with customers, so I could imagine this scenario taking place @homedecor1.  I think your friend should contact Apple to let them know it happened.  They may even have video surveillance of that day still on file that could help identify the scammers.  Sad situation.  I'm sorry that happened.

Respected Contributor

@wildcat fan 

Very smart suggestion to let Apple store know and get surveillance video.  It's probably not an isolated incident.