Honored Contributor

Re: Just in case you think you can't change your life...

@Laura14, now all you need is Tristan.... ❤️😉

Esteemed Contributor

@Laura14  Congrats! Can you point me toward the online course you took? My daughter has a job, but I know she is wanting to move on to something else.

TIA

Honored Contributor

How wonderful!  Way to go!

May I also pass along that right now is the perfect time to go on Indeed dot com and registure to be a seasonal receptionist with H & R Block.  I started doing that last year with a friend and it's very easy.  Just welcome people as they come in, click on their arrival, and make some reminder calls.  

The support is top notch.Smiley Happy

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Laura14  It took a lot of dedication, integrity, ambition, independence and sheer guts to strike out and try something new. I also went back to school just weeks after remarrying (at 40), while working in a mgmt. position requiring 50+ hours per week and a 15 year old son at home with his school activities! My life was FULL. I did it, too. We all lived through it and our new marriage survived those two years of brutal classes.

I had to change fields; the stress was killing me. More classes; like it or not. Like you, it was so rewarding to be offered my dream position for my manners, friendliness, talents, and successes in both past work recommendations and insructor letters of reference. Hope you, also, find employment you enjoy as much as I did and thrive in your new atmosphere. Such a positive post! Keep us up-to-date on your developing story. You deserve the best life has to offer. 

Money screams; wealth whispers.
Respected Contributor

@Laura14

Good for you!!! And how thoughtful of you to share your experience and encouraging message, which is sure to inspire many others.

Honored Contributor

@YorkieonmyPillow wrote:

@Laura14  Congrats! Can you point me toward the online course you took? My daughter has a job, but I know she is wanting to move on to something else.

TIA

@YorkieonmyPillow  Absolutely.  I went through Penn Foster because it was the cheapest accredited program I could find. 

If she is unsure about what she wants to do, ed2go offers introductory classes for about $150 I think it was for 6 weeks.  I did that first and it was taught by a real person already in the field with 20 years experience.  She was wonderful and answered all kinds of questions.

Once I knew I was still interested, I found Penn Foster which was lightyears cheaper than ed2go or any other program and I went from there.  

@loveschocolate  I love that man!!  HeartSmiley Tongue  

Honored Contributor

@Laura14 wrote:

Or that manners, professionalism, and kindness won't get you very far in life, read on.

Some of you may know that I have been on a path to become a certified pharmacy technician.  It was all online (self-taught) and then I had the opportunity to do an externship with a local retail pharmacy which I am currently finishing up.

I have 4 (count them) 4 weeks of practical experience in the field and the district manager offered me a senior tech position today including teaching responsibilities  because he's heard such good things about me and the job I've done in one month.

And before some of you start, this is not a pat on the back post although I am very proud of myself as anyone would be.  I am actually turning this job down because it's for an area that is just too far for me to travel.  But I was asked and deemed worthy enough to invest in by this employer even though I am a baby in the craft.

My point is that if you ever think you are too old, you're not worth it, you can't do it, or that other people won't take notice of a good old fashioned showing up on time, putting your head down, learning your stuff, grinding through your mistakes and carrying on in a polite, professional manner, you can do it. 

There are employers and others who will take notice and reward your efforts even when others around you who have known you for years don't. I am still jobless in my new career but I have other opportunity and, more importantly, good references. 

Consider this a follow up to my New Year's post.  If you are unhappy, need to make a change, or scared about trying something new from a career change to health goals to finding a new way to spend your time, please do it.  It feels so good to have someone say "Wow, great job!" 

We say it all the time to kids.  As adults we don't get it much.  So I am passing mine along to all of you.  Go do a great job (whatever that may be for you) and report back.  I'd love to hear about it.     Smiley Happy

@Laura14

What a lovely and inspiring post!  Congratulations to you on have a goal, achieving your goal and having a plan to change your life for the better.  You are right --- young people get told this, but not older so much.  Good luck on finding the position of your desire!! 

"A day without sunshine is like, you know, night." - Steve Martin
Honored Contributor

Congratulations, @Laura14.  I see your point.  Everyone wants to be appreciated, no matter what the job is.  So many employers now only acknowledge the ones that brown nose them and not the true workers.

“You can’t wait until life isn’t hard anymore to be happy”. (By Nightbirde, singer of the song, It’s Ok)
Honored Contributor

@Laura14, Congratulations! You show that hard work, perseverance and dedication truly pays off. You are an inspiration and, I might add, a great daughter too. I enjoy reading your posts!😊

~H~
Honored Contributor

@Laura14 I am so excited for you.Nice news and thanks for keeping us updated.I know that you will find the perfect position and have a rewarding career.Hopefully you don't get too busy to come back and keep us company once in awhile.In the meantime I will have to do my happy dance for you...whoop whoop!You are fabuuulous.