Esteemed Contributor

Re: Just in case you think you can't change your life...

@Laura14

You should definitely be proud of yourself for your accomplishments. A few months ago, I ordered 2 wood tables for my family room,a tiffany-style lamp, 3 rugs for my family room and 2 small wicker tables for my bedroom. Great prices - ordered on-line ----- and I was very proud of myself!!!!! Always compliment yourself - even for small every day things ---- and NEVER criticize yourself for things you should have done differently. I made a few BIG mistakes years ago - that affected my life for many years. 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@dex @SleeplessinSD @kivah(you go girl!) and everyone who took the time to read this post, since QVC only allows one...

HeartHeartHeartHeartHeartHeartHeartHeartHeartHeartHeartHeartHeartHeart

Honored Contributor

@Laura14 wrote:

Or that manners, professionalism, and kindness won't get you very far in life, read on.

Some of you may know that I have been on a path to become a certified pharmacy technician.  It was all online (self-taught) and then I had the opportunity to do an externship with a local retail pharmacy which I am currently finishing up.

I have 4 (count them) 4 weeks of practical experience in the field and the district manager offered me a senior tech position today including teaching responsibilities  because he's heard such good things about me and the job I've done in one month.

And before some of you start, this is not a pat on the back post although I am very proud of myself as anyone would be.  I am actually turning this job down because it's for an area that is just too far for me to travel.  But I was asked and deemed worthy enough to invest in by this employer even though I am a baby in the craft.

My point is that if you ever think you are too old, you're not worth it, you can't do it, or that other people won't take notice of a good old fashioned showing up on time, putting your head down, learning your stuff, grinding through your mistakes and carrying on in a polite, professional manner, you can do it. 

There are employers and others who will take notice and reward your efforts even when others around you who have known you for years don't. I am still jobless in my new career but I have other opportunity and, more importantly, good references. 

Consider this a follow up to my New Year's post.  If you are unhappy, need to make a change, or scared about trying something new from a career change to health goals to finding a new way to spend your time, please do it.  It feels so good to have someone say "Wow, great job!" 

We say it all the time to kids.  As adults we don't get it much.  So I am passing mine along to all of you.  Go do a great job (whatever that may be for you) and report back.  I'd love to hear about it.     Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

@Laura14. That’s a very inspiring post and definitely life changing for you. Thank you for sharing. Much luck in your future endeavors. 🌸

Trusted Contributor

Congratulations and thank you for posting such an encouraging post.

Honored Contributor

I doubt many folks would want to follow the path of a masters degree teacher and the salary that would provide to a minimum wage pharmacy tech.

Honored Contributor

@151949 wrote:

I doubt many folks would want to follow the path of a masters degree teacher and the salary that would provide to a minimum wage pharmacy tech.

Two of my family members are teachers with a Masters +60. They make very good salaries. I guess it depends where you live. 

Honored Contributor

@151949 wrote:

@151949. Life is not about money and those who think it is are as unhappy as you.  I hope you find a reason in your day to smile and make someone else feel better.

Honored Contributor

@Laura14 wrote:

@151949 wrote:

@151949. Life is not about money and those who think it is are as unhappy as you.  I hope you find a reason in your day to smile and make someone else feel better.

I think there is more here than what is being told.

Honored Contributor

@Laura14

Good for you Laura14!!  I did this at the age of 44.  I remember the feeling of accomplishment which grew over the next 22 years until I retired!!  One has to be dedicated, as you obviously were.  I wish you much success and who knows where it can go from here!!  Bravo!!

Formerly Ford1224
We must always take sides. Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented. Elie Wiesel 1986