Honored Contributor

Just because you've followed the saga...

The sale of my current employer is now mid April.  I'll believe it when I see it.

In the meantime, everyone has been laid off for 60 days with full pay thanks to your tax dollars except a skeleton crew including me as we struggle to keep a non-essential business open.  

Business is actually booming with people off work and management just did an across the board 10% price increase before any of this started.  They get that money open or closed and whether customers use us as recreation or not.  

For our trouble, those of us now working both our jobs and our furloughed coworkers' jobs will have our pay reduced by 5%.  Management pay is unaffected because salaried people are by law exempt.  Nice, right?

So we who actually work and make the least will be the only ones taking a financial hit.  Of course, that makes our health insurance more expensive and our 401k contributions less as we struggle to recover from that too. 

And no one says this is temporary either.  Just the lucky few who will be punished because we came to work in the midst of a pandemic instead of being chosen for a 60 day fully paid temporary vacation at home. 

They will be undoing two modest cost of living raises from a previous owner from six and seven years ago because this company "doesn't do" raises.  And in five years of ownership they never have and never will.   

As many employers stand up and do right by their employees and their country, there are still those that are using it as an opportunity to line their pockets further.  I'm sure they will also be first in line for any eligible government aid from you or tax credits too.

The irony of it all is you can't even quit because it makes you ineligible for unemployment so it's a true take it or leave off into the worst job market ever without any financial help at all.  For some employers, there just really are no words.

I am now hoping this sale really does happen just so I am eligible for any type of unemployment at all.  I am so demoralized and aghast at the greed of my fellow human beings I don't even know what to think. 

TP hoarding is one thing.  Using a crisis to lower your payroll just to make an extra buck where you can off of people who are literally getting you through said crisis at their own risk is just unconscionable.   

And I can't even cry because you can't find tissues anymore and I don't want to waste what I have.  This world really sucks.    Smiley Sad

Honored Contributor

Re: Just because you've followed the saga...

Use this to your opportunity.  Future comments to potential new employers and on any resumes, that you stayed to work, while others were off.  Use this to "shine" in their eyes. Use it to your advantage.

Respected Contributor

@Laura14What type of business are you in?  I don't know if I'm getting you confused with someone else, but I thought you were a pharmacy tech?  But you are saying it is a non-essential business and people are using you for recreation, so I'm confused.  Sorry.

Super Contributor

OP, this posted "drama"...sorry but we are living in, and will be for the foreseeable future...unprecedented everything.  Why don't you start with something simple.  Count  your blessings.  My concerns are with all those, globally, who have zero monies coming in, mouths to feed...those scared to death the may lose their homes, businesses.  Not to mention fear of this virus.  It goes on and on.  Maybe utilizing energies toward others much lwould be a positive.

Respected Contributor

are the other people being laid off thru the warn act

I'm sorry you have to go thru this and were one of the ones picked to stay.

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Laura14    I'm sorry you are going through this.

DS told us a new management company is coming in. He "may" get to keep his job at 50% (yes 50) pay cut.  He says his industry will not recover for 6 years.  He is an executive hotel chef.He's 32 and has a family of 4.

Esteemed Contributor

@Mary Baileysorry about that pay reduction.  Truth be told, they have been out there forever....long before Covid19.  I've seen it before.  Typically, the older you are, the more at risk you are to see a reduction, especially if you are highly paid.  Sigh.

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Snoopp  he's only 32

Honored Contributor

@BeautyLver   Who do you think I am when the sale happens in a few weeks?  Those people your heart bleeds for with zero income and an uncertain future live closer than you think.  And my unemployment check will be a lot smaller than everyone else's and not last as long because it's not due to the pandemic.   

Bad things happen to good people because greedy people are allowed to get away with unethical business practices. At least the virus is being a virus.  What do the people kicking their fellow human beings while they're down use as their excuse?

I'm allowed to vent about ugly people in my life who are using their power for evil rather than the greater good.  I'm allowed to point that out and say it's not okay.  And I will everytime because they'll do it to the next person maybe even someone you're currently praying for too.    

Honored Contributor

@Mary Bailey  I am so sorry.  Companies lowering their payroll expenses and taking advantage of us working folks right now are absolutely cruel.  This will come out eventually and I hope they are shamed into increasing pay as soon as all of this dies down a bit.