Honored Contributor

Walgreens, Pick Up Any Store Items at Drive Thru

Got a message from Walgreens today that you can now order any store items from the drive up window at Walgreens, cleaning supplies, over the counter meds, anything they sell.

I would think that would cause quite a backlog at the drive up window.

Also, Tuesdays from 8AM-9AM is 'senior hour' for seniors to shop early.

You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have.
Esteemed Contributor

Re: Walgreens, Pick Up Any Store Items at Drive Thru

@KingstonsMom 

I received that email today and my first thought was what a backup that will cause at the drive-through. I have a few prescriptions to pick up and now I’m afraid it will be an ordeal.  Don’t want to be stuck behind someone with a long shopping list!  I wonder how well thought out this is?

"Breathe in, breathe out, move on." Jimmy Buffett
Honored Contributor

I got the e-mail this morning and didn't read it because there's nothing that I really want or need from Walgreen.

I thought it would mean a call ahead order with curbside pickup.  If it's the type of thing where you hand them your shopping list maybe they tell you park the car in a certain spot?

Esteemed Contributor

Here's the information on the email from Walgreens for those who didn't see it:

"Get essential items at our drive-thru'

1. Pull up and ask for a menu of available items like: household items, pain relief, grocery, cough and cold, baby formula, medical supplies

2. Tell us your order - no need to pre-order. Leave your car or go in store

3. We'll assemble your order and get you on your way.

I think the email is confusing. I assume you place your order at the drive-thru after reading a list of what items are available. The phrase "Leave your car or go in store...." is confusing. I'm not sure what this accomplishes unless the employees are able to bring the order out to your car. And I wonder when the order is paid for? At the drive-thru?

I think I'll be going inside from now on to pick up our prescriptions! Maybe this new procedure will work out just fine, but the process doesn't seem to be very clear at all to me.

Esteemed Contributor

@CelticCrafter 

It said there was no need to call ahead.  Even if they move to a parking spot to wait for their order, there will still be a lot more cars in line at the drive through. And it will take a bit of time for each one to hand over their list and I’ll just bet that some people will want to go over that list in detail. Ugh!

"Breathe in, breathe out, move on." Jimmy Buffett
Honored Contributor

I ordered a pickup from Target then it said "Go in the Store" and I called and said no so they refunded my money.  If I wanted to go in the store I wouldn't do pickup. 

Honored Contributor

Having worked in the pharmacy where the window is located, that's a nightmare waiting to happen.  The pharmacy is a secured area for obvious reasons and having to go in and out through a locked door to run through the store for non-pharmacy items is tough even if they hand it off to a floor associate.  Nice thought but I doubt this will work well.  

And they will probably tell people to drive around which is what we did when someone dropped off a prescription to fill right away to keep the line moving.