Honored Contributor

@cherry wrote:

It is easy to say when you don't have the histoy the black people do. 

I'm not arguing with you @cherry but this is my point exactly.  Assuming all people have this tragic history like women's history was so wonderful for those same decades too?

I'll only speak for myself but I choose not to be hostage to a past I didn't experience and live only for and with the people I encounter in my actual life today.  And when I meet an idiot and all of us do, I call that one person an idiot and do not start labeling an entire group of people.  

We really need to get away from that and treat each other as individuals not victims.  We all have what we have and again no one is any better or worse off than anyone else and to assume that you are either way is wrong.

Stop looking to belong to a disadvantaged group which everyone can find a membership in and stand on your own two feet and make your own way in life.  Everyone has challenges to overcome and those who try to usually do.    

Esteemed Contributor

@QueenDanceALot wrote:

@Laura14 wrote:

@JaneMarple wrote:

@Laura14 wrote:

I'm sorry @QueenDanceALot but that word is used to describe an entire gender (over half the world's population!) which is even larger than Roseanne's insult group.    

I really don't get how someone doesn't see it the equality in it.  

Because there isn't equality in the two!

@JaneMarple  With the exception of slurring a racial group as opposed to a larger gender group, exactly the same.  

Roseanne was slurring a racial group (and has slurred other entire groups for years), and the woman whose name I can't even recall right now was speaking of ONE WOMAN.

So, it's not exactly the same.  It's not even nearly the same.

The point is not that they are the "same" rather they are equally offensive and people should be equally outraged.  Both women should suffer the same consequences of their actions. 

Someday, when scientists discover the center of the Universe....some people will be disappointed it is not them.
Honored Contributor

I think it does @QueenDanceALot  It doesn't mean other people cant empathize, but  you don't have to live with it everyday of your life

Honored Contributor

@JaneMarple wrote:

For clarification @Laura14 it is not me who divides myself into a group, that was done several hundred years ago. I don't carry myself as a victim or necessarily have a group think mentality.

@JaneMarple  I say this with sincerity, why are listening to people who lived several hundred years ago and letting them define you?  You are a wonderful unique person in your own right.  Live like it if you aren't already.  

Honored Contributor

@QueenDanceALot wrote:

@Laura14 wrote:

@JaneMarple wrote:

@Laura14 wrote:

I'm sorry @QueenDanceALot but that word is used to describe an entire gender (over half the world's population!) which is even larger than Roseanne's insult group.    

@JaneMarple  With the exception of slurring a racial group as opposed to a larger gender group, exactly the same.  

Roseanne was slurring a racial group (and has slurred other entire groups for years), and the woman whose name I can't even recall right now was speaking of ONE WOMAN.

@QueenDanceALot  Roseanne was referencing ONE person too.  You can't have it both ways.   

Honored Contributor

@Laura14 wrote:

@QueenDanceALot wrote:

@Laura14 wrote:

I really don't get how someone doesn't see the equality in it.  

@Laura14

I understand that you just don't get it.

I find that very distressing.

Well I hope you have a better day then @QueenDanceALot.  I am who I am.  Smiley Happy

Not to worry, you haven't ruined my day.

I hope someday you will understand the issue.  As I hope for many others.

Respected Contributor

@QueenDanceALot wrote:

@Laura14 wrote:

@JaneMarple wrote:

@Laura14 wrote:

ITA @QueenDanceALot.

Using vulgarities to describe a person is an insult aimed at a PERSON. The racist slur used by Barr attempts to place an entire group of people in a sub-human category. That's the horror of racism. That people are deemed not "real" people simply based on the color of their skin. There is no equivalency. Not even close.

Using examples of stupid insults is merely a deflection away from the shame that haunts our country.

Honored Contributor

I am older than you and I recall a world you didn't even know existed @Laura14  church bombings, and segregation and  Bishop Sheen getting a cross burned in his front yard because he dared build the first black maternity hospital in the south

Jim Crow was  something you can't even imagine

Honored Contributor

@Laura14 wrote:

@JaneMarple wrote:

For clarification @Laura14 it is not me who divides myself into a group, that was done several hundred years ago. I don't carry myself as a victim or necessarily have a group think mentality.

@JaneMarple  I say this with sincerity, why are listening to people who lived several hundred years ago and letting them define you?  You are a wonderful unique person in your own right.  Live like it if you aren't already.  

Pay attention @Laura14! I'm not listening to anyone from hundreds of years ago, just pointing out that people today still categorize people of color! That isn't by my choice! I don't originate from apes and I'm sick of having to defend why I'm offended by this statement!

You Don't Own Me- Leslie Gore
(You don't Know) How Glad I Am- Nancy Wilson
Honored Contributor

@cherry wrote:

I am older than you and I recall a world you didn't even know existed @Laura14  church bombings, and segregation and  Bishop Sheen getting a cross burned in his front yard because he dared build the first black maternity hospital in the south

Jim Crow was  something you can't even imagine

Doesn't matter in my opinion @cherry.  I say stop living in a world that doesn't exist anymore and passing on that reality on to our children who have never experienced it either and just live in the present. History to never forget yes but being hostage to it, never/

We have come a long way with more to go but I don't understand why we have this incessant need to discredit ourselves and the past and current generations who made things a heck of a lot better.  And they are.