Honored Contributor

Re: Just Got Back From Grocery Shopping And...

@Estates wrote:

@Icegoddess  I FINALLY found yeast at Sams Club last week. I have been looking for a long time. Still no wipes anywhere. HTH

@Estates we don't have a Sams membership, but do have Costco.  However, I haven't looked there.  I'm not really in need, just find it curious that it's still missing from store shelves especially since bread seems to be readily available now.  Surely everybody isn't still making their own bread.  

Honored Contributor

@Icegoddess wrote:

@QueenDanceALot wrote:

I have tried a few things that supposedly kept produce fresh longer, but I've been disappointed in all of them.  I go to the grocery probably once a week, try to go at off hours, and also try to only patronize those stores that have mask and distance requirements.  Do ALL people follow them?  No, there are always one or two who can't seem to do it, and I give them a WIDE berth if I can.

I also never put tomatoes in the refrigerator.  It ruins them!!  So they have to be eaten while they are perfectly ripe.

@QueenDanceALot I just heard this the other day from a lady who was a buyer of produce for retauraunts, but my question is, what do you do with tomatoes that have been sliced.  I don't eat tomatoes, but my husband does, but not a whole tomato at one time.

@Icegoddess 

If I only use half, I will just put it in a container and leave it out to eat later in the day.  They are fine if left for a few hours.  Refrigeration just destroys them.

If it goes uneaten, it gets tossed.  I hate to waste any, though, and if they are really good summer tomatoes I make sure they're eaten.

Easy for me to do, they can go in an omelet for breakfast, a salad for lunch, or top a sandwich.  I usually don't have any leftover.

Honored Contributor

@Pearlee wrote:
Mask wearing inside stores is a mandate in my county but enforcement by retailers is NOT mandated. (Law enforcement isn't enforcing it either except to "educate" people who aren't complying). And retailers don't want to lose anyone's business by insisting someone wear a mask due to huge business losses during closure.

@Pearlee, I'm not so sure that our markets can be cited, but I know that individuals can be fined. Regardless, in our little beach town, I've yet to see an unmasked shopper. Only at the beginning of the mandate did I hear about a couple of problems. It's just a way of life here now.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Honored Contributor

@QueenDanceALot wrote:

@Icegoddess wrote:

@QueenDanceALot wrote:

I have tried a few things that supposedly kept produce fresh longer, but I've been disappointed in all of them.  I go to the grocery probably once a week, try to go at off hours, and also try to only patronize those stores that have mask and distance requirements.  Do ALL people follow them?  No, there are always one or two who can't seem to do it, and I give them a WIDE berth if I can.

I also never put tomatoes in the refrigerator.  It ruins them!!  So they have to be eaten while they are perfectly ripe.

@QueenDanceALot I just heard this the other day from a lady who was a buyer of produce for retauraunts, but my question is, what do you do with tomatoes that have been sliced.  I don't eat tomatoes, but my husband does, but not a whole tomato at one time.

@Icegoddess 

If I only use half, I will just put it in a container and leave it out to eat later in the day.  They are fine if left for a few hours.  Refrigeration just destroys them.

If it goes uneaten, it gets tossed.  I hate to waste any, though, and if they are really good summer tomatoes I make sure they're eaten.

Easy for me to do, they can go in an omelet for breakfast, a salad for lunch, or top a sandwich.  I usually don't have any leftover.

@QueenDanceALot he won't eat one that quickly.  He doesn't seem to have a problem with the refrigerated ones, so I'll keep doing that.  I don't need something else sitting out on the counter.  

Honored Contributor

@Icegoddess wrote:

@QueenDanceALot wrote:

@Icegoddess wrote:

@QueenDanceALot wrote:

@Icegoddess 

@QueenDanceALot he won't eat one that quickly.  He doesn't seem to have a problem with the refrigerated ones, so I'll keep doing that.  I don't need something else sitting out on the counter.  

@Icegoddess 

OK with me!

Honored Contributor

@ID2 wrote:

Is this the first time the OP has been to the grocery store??? Odd post.

Why is this a problem?  It's ok that OP posted about her experience.  We all have the choice to read or not read it.

Honored Contributor

@RoughDraft wrote:

I'm trying to figure out the OP's reason for these types of posts.  They're nothing that most of us haven't been doing since February.  Someone please enlighten me.

Why does it matter?  Everyone is able to post on this website and OP wanted to share her experience.  

Honored Contributor

Yes and everyone is able to post an opinion about what is shared so why are those posts a problem for you @CalminHeart?
Honored Contributor

@Anonymous032819   Did you cook the turkey?? 

"" Compassion is a verb."-Thich Nhat Hanh
Esteemed Contributor

@Cakers3 wrote:

@Anonymous032819   Did you cook the turkey?? 

@Cakers3 

No, not yet.😺

I also have two whole chickens, plus a tray of 16 drumsticks that will be dinner.

One nice thing about cooking a turkey is, after it's cooked, I can carve it in to portions, and then use my Food Saver, and freeze it for future meals!Smiley Happy

The Sky looks different when you have someone you love up there.