Super Contributor

I have jury duty tomorrow. I have been on at least 20 juries since I turned 21. I am almost consistently called to serve every two years. In California you can not get out of jury duty unless you have a disability or turn 70 years old or you are peace officer. It is not that I am trying to get out of doing jury duty but I don't think it fair that I have done it so many times while friends and family who are registered to vote are never called.

I will go do my duty tomorrow, but the free parking is about 5 blocks away from the court house and I probably will end up paying for my parking. In California if you are on a jury a second day you will get paid 35 cents a mile and $15 a day and on succeeding days.

Honored Contributor
My DH was called to be on grand juries - he had to go for a minimum of a week every 2 months for a year. he tried to get out of it but could not so he had to do it. Since he was a salesman working for commissions it was extremely inconvenient.When ever i was called for jury duty my employer (a hospital) would get me out of doing it saying they needed me at work.
Respected Contributor

I've been called for jury duty a few times. I kinda dread it, but it has turned out fine so far (met nice people). For me, the worse part is having to drive downtown.

Last time I was called was last Aug. I was interviewed but not chosen to be on a jury. So glad, because the case was really upsetting: A landlord was accused of murdering a tenant over $100 he owed in rent, then hiding the body in another one of his buildings. Yikes!

Honored Contributor
I am serving in May and dread the commute into the downtown area. I believe people are excused here at the age of 65.
Contributor

Moxie, I live in CA, too, and was called a couple years ago. I only went the one day, because I was not placed on a jury, though I was called up with a group to the courtroom. (Never was called up to be interviewed by the lawyers and judge)

Anyway, one thing I learned while there was that a potential juror is called to duty from two lists: our driver's license and our voter registration. If by chance, your name is different on the two documents, you may be called more often.

Considering your numerous experiences, you very well may already know this, but I thought I'd share, in case you or another poster could use the information. I have yet to remember to check on my own name, but now I'll try to remember to do that.

Honored Contributor

I've been called 3 times, but only had to show up once. I sat and read magazines for six hours, then was sent home.

Valued Contributor
I have served on two juries when I was younger. Interesting process to say the least. The last three times I was called to serve I was excused. I have chronic back pain due to arthritis and degenerative disc disease. I cannot sit for extended periods of time. I had my doctor write a note to take but the jury commissioner's office didn't even want to look at it. For the record, you may be excused if your employer will not pay you during the time you serve on a jury by claiming that serving on a jury would be a financial hardship.
Super Contributor
On 3/10/2014 graycatsrule said:

I've been called 3 times, but only had to show up once. I sat and read magazines for six hours, then was sent home.

What a waste of your time. Like your time is not valuable. A crock of doggie dodo.
Esteemed Contributor

I get called a lot but here in our county they pay is pretty good. We get free parking and the first day it's $16 as it's just a quick in and out and you are told to come back where you will answer questions from the attorney's who will pick the jury and the 2nd and any day there after it's $40 a day. Today I went, I was there 3 hrs. mainly waiting and I go back Monday where they will pick 15 out of the 55 that were called back for that court.

Honored Contributor

I'm called every 2 years, in CA, also, but I've never had to serve. I've always been excused, but only found out the night before by calling the info number. But it does put your plans for the week in limbo.

They also kept sending summons to our address for my son, even after he'd moved several times, to different counties, AND notified the DMV of his moves and registered to vote in those areas. I'm just waiting for them to send him another summons...he's now a resident of Colorado...but they just seem so desperate for jury members, and don't keep their records current.