Trusted Contributor

Re: BRe: Jolly Roger Telephone Company

@mistriTsquirrel

Who knew that there is a famous squirrel model?

I used to work at a waterfront restaurant and there was a cute squirrel who lived on the property. I would buy peanuts and feed them to her. She would come up to me as I was taking an order in front of customers and beg for a peanut.

I would give her the treat and she would scamper off. I loved her!

Esteemed Contributor

Re: BRe: Jolly Roger Telephone Company

@flickerbulb wrote:

@mistriTsquirrel

Who knew that there is a famous squirrel model?

I used to work at a waterfront restaurant and there was a cute squirrel who lived on the property. I would buy peanuts and feed them to her. She would come up to me as I was taking an order in front of customers and beg for a peanut.

I would give her the treat and she would scamper off. I loved her!

@flickerbulb

I like to feed the squirrel here (the one outside, I mean...not me...not that I don't like to eat, but...anyway...).  I left too much food out later in the day.  When I went to throw a bug outside that night, I switched on the light and saw an opossum next to my deck.  I'm sure it scared us both.  I found out that possums will eat bird seed and other stuff I've been putting out, so that possum may have been the one who ate the food.  My outdoor squirrel friend can't be too happy about that.  Gotta make sure I put the food out early in the day, and not so much, or else I may have a possum family to feed as well...and an angry squirrel.

Image result for fear my squirrely wrath

"Heartburn Can Cause Cancer" -- www.ecan.org
Esteemed Contributor

Re: Jolly Roger Telephone Company

[ Edited ]

I'm such a thread-killer that I kill even my own threads.  Smiley Frustrated

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

That wouldn't interest me but I am so curious as to why I get about a half dozen calls a day and no one is on the line.    Almost all day, I'm listening to the radio on my cell phone with my earbuds so it's no problem to hit "answer" when a call comes in.    I never say hello, I just listen.   Nothing.   Are they waiting for me to say something?   What's the deal?

I use the True People Search site to plug in the phone number and a name never comes up.

If I happen to receive a wrong number, usually after a few seconds the person on the line will say Hello.    Then I hang up.

During the election last year, I figured many of the calls were from candidates or pollsters and I never answered them then either.   But the election is over.   What gives?

@mistriTsquirrel

Respected Contributor

Unrelated to "Jolly Roger", but wanted to share a recent call we received on our home telephone.  We have service thru Comcast, so I can see the name and telephone number of caller on our television screen.

So phone rings, caller ID displayed it as a local bar and grill.  Answering machine picks up and a recorded message from a telemarketing company starts its spill that I may be eligible for some kind of medical equipment, etc.

Well I decided to call the originating telephone number.  It was actually the bar and grill listed on the caller ID.  I told them what occurred and it seemed telemarketers had captured their business phone number.  I told her she may want to call their telephone service provider and report it.  She said the business had been located there for years, but had changed its name but not the phone number.

These scammers are so slick.   

Esteemed Contributor

@software wrote:

That wouldn't interest me but I am so curious as to why I get about a half dozen calls a day and no one is on the line.    Almost all day, I'm listening to the radio on my cell phone with my earbuds so it's no problem to hit "answer" when a call comes in.    I never say hello, I just listen.   Nothing.   Are they waiting for me to say something?   What's the deal?

I use the True People Search site to plug in the phone number and a name never comes up.

If I happen to receive a wrong number, usually after a few seconds the person on the line will say Hello.    Then I hang up.

During the election last year, I figured many of the calls were from candidates or pollsters and I never answered them then either.   But the election is over.   What gives?

@mistriTsquirrel

@software

Robocall messages are activated when you say hello, aren't they?  When telemarketers or robos call, there is always a pause after you say "hello" before the message starts or they go into their spiel.  If I say "hello" and hear silence, I know it's going to be one of those calls.

Other than that, I'm not sure what's going on.  Seems like there are new techniques and scams daily.

Esteemed Contributor

@Allegheny wrote:

Unrelated to "Jolly Roger", but wanted to share a recent call we received on our home telephone.  We have service thru Comcast, so I can see the name and telephone number of caller on our television screen.

So phone rings, caller ID displayed it as a local bar and grill.  Answering machine picks up and a recorded message from a telemarketing company starts its spill that I may be eligible for some kind of medical equipment, etc.

Well I decided to call the originating telephone number.  It was actually the bar and grill listed on the caller ID.  I told them what occurred and it seemed telemarketers had captured their business phone number.  I told her she may want to call their telephone service provider and report it.  She said the business had been located there for years, but had changed its name but not the phone number.

These scammers are so slick.   

@Allegheny  It's pretty messed up that they could steal an active number like that.  I didn't know they could do that.  This stuff has gotten so out of hand.

Honored Contributor

That pirate costume belongs on a goose that sits outside my front door.  

Esteemed Contributor

@AuntG wrote:

That pirate costume belongs on a goose that sits outside my front door.  

@AuntG

I don't know if it would fit.  Sugar Bush Squirrel is pretty petite. Smiley Happy

Respected Contributor

This is good for people fed up by these calls. I use block caller on my phone and home phone. They even used my own number and name to call me on caller ID. I did not answer. 

Today I picked up my phone when it rang as I was expecting the doctor to call and they call on the back line which doesn't show a name and it was Marriott Resorts recording trying to sell me something and I hung up and blocked it. They called back from another number minutes later and it went on and on and I let it go to voicemail and they left a message. I kept blocking their numbers.