Honored Contributor

Re: 💉 Johnson & Johnson 💊

[ Edited ]

I ran into interference the past 2 weeks trying to pick up one of my sons Rx: 30 mg of Oxy. Had no problem with 15 mg of Oxy or any of his other meds (including morphine) but geez, we had to jump through hoops to get his month supply. His doctor had to send in the form, make a few calls and then it was approved. Luckily, I had enough for him to cover the time it took and our pharmacy is 5 minutes away but what about those who don't have extras and/or have to drive a distance away to get their meds?

Pisses me off, this whole things does.

Respected Contributor

@NickNack wrote:

I took Cymbalta for depression for many years.  When it was time to wean myself off of it, I followed my doctor's directions.  I had no problem at all with quitting it.  

Cymbalta is in the class of SNRI medications, and must be tapered off very slowly. You did it the best way, and with your doctor's guidance. 😊

“The soul is healed by being with children.”
— Fyodor Dostoyevsky
Honored Contributor

DH won’t have ankle surgery he needs because he knows they will give him some addictive drug and he will die from the addiction when he tries to withdraw and so he will just whine and be in pain instead....🙄
Esteemed Contributor

How many doctors prescribing a pain med sit the patient down and give a full disclosure about the med?  I haven’t seen that happen and it would probably help some people.  But there are many folks who will abuse their meds and take them incorrectly no matter what.  And any rogue doctor who falsifies prescriptions should land in jail.  I hate to see people who are in need of relief from pain not have access to meds because of the shortcomings of others.

Esteemed Contributor

@Still Raining wrote:

But where are the jail terms for prescribing MDs.  The whistle blowers at the pharmacies?  The personal responsibility of the addicts?

@Still Raining  Lots of responsibility, but J&J is the easy target and has the deepest pockets.

I don't think people who died or their family members are gettng the money.  If that is the case, where IS it going?

I didn't read the link or the whole thread; so if it's already been mentioned...mea culpa.

Keepin' it real.
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

The pharmaceutical companies waged a campaign to lie to doctors and health care professionals . The campaign deliberately provided misinformation. Doctors were told that research showed patients would not become addicted if the patient took the product according to recommendations. The companies campaign resulted in relaxation in prescribing. Most doctors don’t want to see suffering patients. They, too, can be misled.

Honored Contributor

I’m watching my husband rocking and crying in screaming pain as I type this. He has tried so many medicines and treatments for his condition that he should be in Guiness Book of World Records. I’m eternally grateful for the small amount of pain reduction that an opioid pain medication provides him with. Instead of a 10 on a 10 scale, he can be reduced to a 9 or an 8. Still excruciating pain, but a notable improvement. I wish there was a cure for his condition but one does not exist. I’m thankful for his doctors for their years of support and compassion. I worry about suicide with this level of pain. No one could endure this level of pain for this amount of time. Pretend you were in labor pains every day of your life, 24/7, for years and years. What would you do? There’s another side to the opioid crisis. There are patients for which there is no other option. I hope patients with no other choice left to them do not wind up losing because of the misuse by others of these products. 

Honored Contributor

@lovesrecess wrote:
DH won’t have ankle surgery he needs because he knows they will give him some addictive drug and he will die from the addiction when he tries to withdraw and so he will just whine and be in pain instead....🙄

He can ask for other medication. He could easily speak with his surgeon ablout this. He could also ask for only enough pain medication for two days. Surgeons are likely to to work with your husband on this. Not all surgeries leave patients in need of strong pain control post surgery. The likelihood of which post surgical needs for a particular surgery can be found online or can be discussed with the surgeon.

Honored Contributor

@Mindy D  My heart goes out to you. My son is in the same situation. The amount of opiates that he takes is enough to give him a 6 on fantastic days, else it's an 8-9. On the days there is no relief, I knock him out with morphine and sit by his bed for hours monitoring his breathing. I have Narcan all over the house just in case.  I also worry about suicide thought Medically Assisted Suicide is an option for him should he choose that path.

Until you hold your loved one in your arms and have them BEG you to kill them with extra drugs, you have NO idea how disconcerting this lawsuit and the possible future restrictions are for those who live in horrific pain 24 hours a day with NO relief.

Honored Contributor

Regardless where we lay the blame, I just can't conceive of what @Mindy D & @SahmIam describe as the constant and horrific pain their loved ones endure. I wish there were something I could say or do. It's just heart-wrenching.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland