Super Contributor

Here's my question...I have had three interviews for a job I REALLY want (one in person with the gentleman who would be my direct boss, and two via phone - one with the Head of HR and one with the head of the dept I would be working in) - I have tremendous experience (over 20 years) and one thing in my favor is that I live in the city where the job would be located...the company has invited me to the corporate office (across the country)  to meet in person with several of the top executives.

I think this is a good sign, but am nervous about my age - I know I look a good 10-15 years younger than I am, and my (potential) direct supervisor has met me in person, but I would love to know from HR professionals - how strong a "hiring signal" is the invitation to the corporate offices?

I have been invited to corporate offices before - twice I got the job and one time I didn't.

Thoughts???  Advice???

Super Contributor
I am a retired corporate HR manager now but I doubt thatthey would not be spending money to fly you to their corporate office if they weren't very interested in you. Take a deep breath and enjoy the trip. I think you have a good shot at this position.
Contributor

I'm trying to figure out what looking younger has to do with anything, since your years of experience tells them your age.  People on this board are very overly obsessed with looks. If you are neat,clean and appropriately professional that is what they care about, appearance wise. Go in and tell them why you are the best qualified. Unless the job is to be a model or on TV or something.

Respected Contributor

Hello, Sunnyfield, I am not in that field but in my profession only strong candidates, those on the short list, are flown in for interviewing by the top execs.

I did have a friend who got such a job after a trip like that, and he kept it for quite a while, but one reason that business always brought executives in for a final check was that the people who ran it were control freaks. 

Probably not true in your case, though (this was a family held company and the family was dictatorial).  He still worked for them for at least a decade, but it kind of got on his nerves over the years and he eventually left.

They know your age already; just remember that your experience will be of most relevance and value to them.  If it's a social company, they will want to see if your party/dining manners are to their taste. 

Interviews are stressful, but you are a top contender if they are flying you in for a close look.

Esteemed Contributor
Trust me they already know how old you are. There are too many ways for them to investigate you prior to the interview. They already knew your age before you showed up at the interview. Take it as a good sign that they want you to go to the corporate office. Don't forget to send thank you notes to all those who you met on your way. Take it as a good sign that they want you to go to the corporate office. Don't forget to send thank you notes to all those who you met
Respected Contributor

I don't work in HR but I have worked as assistant to the Chairman of a large, national firm who was in a position to hire top level executives.  I would say that you are now on a very short list, perhaps just two or three.  Good luck, and don't let your age dimish your confidence.  They can't ask, of course, but they have a very good idea based on your education and experience. 

Respected Contributor

It's a very strong signal that they are going to offer you the job.  They would not fly you across the country and pay hotel expenses if they were not sure that you are the person they are looking for.  You age is irrelevant, they can tell your approximate age from your resume.  No one is going to ask your age anyway, no employer does that today and it sounds like the company you are interviewing is a big company.  You have come this far, so the advice I would give you is to focus, stay calm and be yourself.  They want to see the person behind the resume.   

Trusted Contributor

It's a strong signal. If they weren't extremely interested, they wouldn't spend the money to fly you around the country. Be sure to write thank you notes and express your enthusiasm for the job. Good luck!