Trusted Contributor

f think I like getting my period more than going on a job interview. Has anyone been on the other side and interviewed candidates for your company? How many people on average are interviewed for a position? I know every industry is different, but I would like any tips from anyone who knows more about this than me. TIA

A friend in need is a friend indeed.
Regular Contributor

I work in a medical field and find it challenging to find qualified candidates.  We phone screen to determine their experience and narrow our selection but rarely interview more than 2 or 3 in person.

Honored Contributor

Phone screens are the norm, and then they usually bring 6 to 7 candidates in to interview.  At least that's how it is in my field.  They narrow it down to 3 and those 3 go to a Regional Vice President.  After that, they select their candidate.  I think it just varies from industry to industry.

Good luck!!

"friends don't let friends drink white zinfandel"
Honored Contributor

If you feel that your interviewing skills are rusty,  consider taking part in a job search workshop at your local workforce center.   It's free and they can help with resumes,  making cold calls (the worse),  as well as interviewing.   Look in the government pages of your phone book. 

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Trusted Contributor

What kind of job/what industry?  Are you looking for entry level or do you have experience? 

Respected Contributor

I interviewed some people for a clerical - data processing job many years ago and in walked this beautiful woman with an impeccable resume and when I told my boss it was my intention to hire her she put the kibosh on that.  She told me to hire an average woman.  So, there you have it.  Perhaps she would have only used that job as a springboard but she was the best qualified.  It was the first time I had ever interviewed and quite the eye opener.  My boss and I differed in opinion on who we ultimately hired; I should say who she ultimately hired and that's where I will end this convo because I quit my job in disgust or I should say that was the last straw.  

Valued Contributor
Role play. Practice. Be confident, but humble. Interviewing can be intimidating, but if you want the job, you need to be professional and show yourself in the best light. Make a list of common challenges you have encountered in your work life. How did you overcome them and how did you work it out? What have you done in the past to make yourself successful? Write these things down and be able to bring them out when needed.

Project positivity. The interviewer can feel negativity and you don't want that.

Google how to interview successfully.
Trusted Contributor

I have 5 years part-time experience working in cultural institutions you would all have heard of. I am not sure if that is entry-level or not. I haven't been able to get full-time work.

A friend in need is a friend indeed.
Respected Contributor

@DiscountDiva wrote:

f think I like getting my period more than going on a job interview. Has anyone been on the other side and interviewed candidates for your company? How many people on average are interviewed for a position? I know every industry is different, but I would like any tips from anyone who knows more about this than me. TIA

When looking for a person to fill a job, I always looked for the person who had experience in doing what the job required.  Do your homework to find out what that particular position requires.  Then, do a resume' that is tailored to that job.  Also, if they call you for an interview, dress for success and portray experience and confidence!

Esteemed Contributor

Re: Job Interview Insight

[ Edited ]

These interview tips cover all the basics you need to know to ace a job interview. From checking out the company to sending an interview thank you note, make your interview a success when you follow these tips.

Two women at a job interview - Tim Kitchen/Stone/Getty Images

Tim Kitchen/Stone/Getty Images

Avoid Interview Mistakes

What shouldn't you do when interviewing? Check out the most common job interview mistakes, blunders, and errors a candidate for employment can make. Then take the time to prepare before your interview, so you don't have to stress afterwards.

Never Say These 3 Things When Answering These Curveball Questions
I bungled every job interview until I stumbled on this 3-step method
 - Altrendo / Getty Images

Altrendo / Getty Images

Dress for Interview Success

The first impression you make on a potential employer can make a big difference. The first judgement an interviewer makes is going to be based on how you look and what you are wearing. That's why it's always important to dress appropriately for a job interview.

Job Interview - Copyright Steve Debenport/E+/Getty Images

Copyright Steve Debenport/E+/Getty Images

Improve Your Interview Technique

A job interview gives you a chance to shine. What you say and do will either move you to the next round of consideration for employment or knock you out of contention More »

thank_you_note_sb10064231ah-001.jpg -
Take the Time to Say Thank You

Taking the time to say thank you after a job interview not only is good interview etiquette, but also reinforces your interest in the position. Use your thank you letter, as well, to address any issues and concerns that came up during the interview. More »

practiceinterview.jpg - Tara Moore

Tara Moore

Practice Interviewing

Taking the time to review typical interview questions you will probably be asked during a job interview will help give you a framework for your responses. It will also calm your frazzled nerves, because you won't be scrambling for an answer while you're in the interview hot seat. Practice interviewing with a friend or family member ahead of time and it will be much easier when you're actually in a job interview. More »

networking.jpg - Dimitri Otis / Getty Images

Dimitri Otis / Getty Images

Use Your Contacts

Who you know at the company you are interviewing with really does matter. Here's how to use your contacts and connections to get an insider advantage so you can ace the interview and impress the interviewer More »

-
Check Out the Company

How much do you know about the company that just contacted you to schedule an interview? It should be plenty, and all the information you need is available online. Here are tips on how to research a company, get the inside scoop on the company culture, and use your connections to get an interview advantage. More »

womanonphone2.jpg - Image Copyright Getty Images / Sam Diephuis

Image Copyright Getty Images / Sam Diephuis

Prepare for a Phone Interview

While you're actively job searching, it's important to be prepared for a phone interview on a moment's notice. You never know when a recruiter or a networking contact might call and ask if you have a few minutes to talk. Review these tips for advice on how to pull off your phone interview without a hitch.