Respected Contributor

The new CEO has been with the company for a long time.

From Dow Jones news.........

<<Amazon.com's Jeff Bezos is stepping down as chief executive to transition into an executive chairman role. Andy Jassy, Amazon Web Services' CEO, will succeed Bezos. The split between the chairman and CEO role is usually seen as a positive governance move as it allows the board to hold management accountable and keep the board independent if the executive chairman is brought in from outside. This won't be the case at Amazon. Executive chairs tend to be more engaged in the daily operations of a business and Bezos's influence won't necessarily decrease. Amazon's board reviews the company's CEO succession planning at least annually. In a sign of the forthcoming transition, Bezos promoted Jassy to CEO of Amazon's cloud-computing business in April 2016.

Esteemed Contributor

@Porcelain wrote:

I think he should buy Facebook and Fox.

Thankfully, that will never happen.

Always remember that you are absolutely unique. Just like everyone else. Margaret Mead
Highlighted
Respected Contributor

@furbabylover wrote:

Well, that's not very nice of him. Now that Amazon is being slammed with all those antitrust lawsuits he skips out. 

"Twas ever thus".

Respected Contributor

Re: 😯 Jeff Bezos 😯

[ Edited ]

LOL!

Does anyone around here care about facts, or is this site always destined to contain silly comments and assumptions about a person's professional and personal life?

I think QVC should pull either the entire thread or  at least certain comments  which are beginning to  unfairly malign a successful person and  border on slander.

(In case anyone's wondering, I own no stock in Amazon and never have.  Sadly, I wish I did and had foreseen its future when I ignored the stock from the beginning and invested in other industries.)

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@novamc1 wrote:

LOL!

Does anyone around here care about facts, or is this site always destined to contain silly comments and assumptions about a person's professional and personal life?

I think QVC should pull either the entire thread or  at least certain comments  which are beginning to  unfairly malign a successful person and  border on slander.

(In case anyone's wondering, I own no stock in Amazon and never have.  Sadly, I wish I did and had foreseen its future when I ignored the stock from the beginning and invested in other industries.)

google it........check out the business and financial journals to find all about what some consider a "saint" because they get their packages so fast....

From many business and financial reports---

When people discuss Jeff Bezos, a recurring theme seems to be his insistence on holding all the strings he can reach. In an interview with CBS News, Professor Noel Tichy from the University of Michigan described Bezos as a "control freak" and Amazon as a "one-man show." Business Insider tells the story of former Amazon engineer Steve Yegge, who goes even further by saying the billionaire "makes ordinary control freaks look like stoned hippies." Bezos seems to be fairly unapologetic about this, and has been known to tell his employees that they should pay him to work at Amazon.

For a man who the Atlantic estimates would have to spend $28 million a day just to avoid getting richer, Jeff Bezos appears to have a strange relationship with charity. BGR describes how he took to Twitter in 2017 to ask people what he should do to be a philanthropist. Then, in a 2018 interview with Mathias Döphner, he stated that the only way he can see to use his wealth is to spend it on his space company, Blue Origin. Out of the four richest Americans (Bezos, Mark Zuckerberg, Bill Gates and Warren Buffett), AOL says Bezos is the most elusive about charity, despite being No. 1. He's also the only one of the four who hasn't signed the Giving Pledge — the commitment many of the world's wealthiest people make to use the majority of their resources for good causes.

In all fairness, Bezos has made some charitable donations over the years. In 2018, he even started the Day One Fund, which aims to devote $2 billion to address homelessness and education issues. However, Vox points out that the initiative is uncharacteristically vague and potentially ineffective for a Bezos effort, and Recode even wondered whether the world's richest person would be so generous if he wasn't under such intense scrutiny. Even if the Day One Fund is ultimately successful in whatever its mission is, it's still peanuts compared to the $41.3 billion that the significantly less wealthy Bill Gates gave in charitable donations between 2000 and 2016.

Few people like paying taxes, but even fewer can compare to Jeff Bezos in how frankly he speaks about his hard work to dodge them. According to Fortune, Bezos famously decided to found Amazon in Washington state instead of the hot tech hubs of California and was perfectly happy to admit that he did it to dodge California's sales taxes. At one point, Bezos even considered planting Amazon on a Native American reservation in California, where it would have been exempt from state sales tax. This was just the beginning of Amazon's natural aversion to tax-paying. For the next 20 years, the company carefully avoided sales taxes in the majority of other states, too. This gave it a price advantage over traditional book retailers and helped it to establish a strong foothold in e-commerce. 

As the Atlantic points out, Amazon's attitude toward taxes hasn't exactly changed through the years. As a massive economic player, it's able to parlay governments and states for billions and billions of tax deductions. In 2017, the company made $5.6 billion in pure profit, yet paid no federal income taxes whatsoever. As a major shareholder, this policy directly benefits Bezos — who naturally commands a fairly small salary, meaning nearly all of his income is subject to capital gains taxes, which max out at just 20 percent instead of the 37 percent top rate on regular income.

When Amazon was starting out, many small publishers welcomed this new way of distribution with open arms. Unfortunately, they didn't quite realize what they were signing up for. The Everything Store reveals that Jeff Bezos doesn't think too highly of the publishing business and views the industry as a helpless animal just waiting for a predator. When the smaller publishers started becoming more and more dependent on Amazon for sales, the company suddenly started playing hardball, demanding more favorable contract terms in ways that The Everything Store calls straight-up sadistic. This treatment was courtesy of the CEO himself, as Bezos had ordered his employees to "approach these small publishers the way a cheetah would pursue a sickly gazelle." 

As a result of this mandate, some Amazon executives took such sadistic pleasure in abusing publishers that the company's lawyers started feeling a little worried about the situation. Eventually, they stepped in and demanded that Amazon rename its publisher-abusing business program from the Gazelle Project (yes, that was its actual name) to the more corporate-friendly Small Publishers Negotiation Program. When your lawyers have to calm you down, you know you've maybe gone too far.

Being unpleasant to your underlings is rarely considered an effective management tool, but Jeff Bezos has actually harnessed it and taken things to the next level by encouraging his workers to be unpleasant to each other. According to the New York Times, Bezos and Amazon have thrown the concept of workplace harmony to the wind. Instead, employees are actively encouraged to eviscerate each others' ideas in meetings, and the company's internal phone directory even features instructions on how to give secret feedback about their coworkers to their bosses. The system is called the Anytime Feedback Tool, and using it to snitch on a fellow worker is so simple that it even provides sample texts, such as: "I felt concerned about his inflexibility and openly complaining about minor tasks." Multiple employees say the tool is often used to sabotage colleagues, and some have even devised smear campaigns where an unpopular coworker has been buried with multiple bad reviews. 

One former Amazon HR director calls this approach "purposeful Darwinism," and it's ... not exactly the most employee-friendly management method. Amazon is a highly stressful workplace even without having to constantly fear that someone's decided to randomly report you to the Thought Police.

HE MAINTAINS A RUTHLESS CORPORATE CULTURE

To shape Amazon according to his vision, Jeff Bezos has created the Leadership Principles. Among other things, these 14 rules require workers to obsess over customers, accomplish more with less, and make speedy decisions while maintaining "relentlessly high standards." If that sounds unrealistic, many employees agree. The New York Times describes how workers have toiled over projects without sleeping for four days in a row, paid freelancers in India to help them keep up with data entry, and spent vacations at Starbucks using the free Wi-Fi to get work done. This sort of ruthless corporate culture can lead to health issues, which the company is less than sympathetic about. Amazon has reportedly cast aside workers who can't perform to the company's borderline impossible expectations, regardless of the reason behind their "incompetence." Even workers who have suffered cancer, miscarriages, or other life-altering personal crises can be evaluated unfairly or "managed out." 

The company even gives an insanely hard time to the people who actually can cope with the pressure. Ex-employee Chris Brucia tells a story about a particularly punishing performance review in 2012. His boss eviscerated him with a 30-minute lecture on all his faults and every goal he had failed to meet. Just when Brucia was certain his Amazon career was at an end, his boss hugged him and informed that he was, in fact, being promoted. Thanks for the pep talk?

HIS ENDEAVORS MAKE HIM SEEM LIKE A SUPERVILLAN
Jeff Bezos is a mighty CEO and a noted tech industry power player, but as Market Watch describes, there's also a whole lot about him that's ripe for comparison with a comic book supervillain. Apart from having the same hairstyle as Lex Luthor and Ernst Stavro Blofeld, he has money to burn and the control of a globally influential media institution. His penchant for developing a fleet for space exploration is another tick on the checklist, as is one of his stranger vanity projects — a 500-foot-tall, thermally powered "10,000-year clock" that he's embedding in a mountain for reasons that remain his own. Bezos even has the melodramatic laugh to go with the classic villain image: As Inc. points out, the billionaire is known for his loud, honking laughter. 

Really, all Bezos needs at this point is access to a giant robot he can pilot ... which, incidentally, he absolutely has.

​HIS WAREHOUSES ARE "LIKE PRISONS"
The warehouse is rarely the most luxurious place of employment in any company, but things are really bad when people are peeing in water bottles and comparing the work environment to prison. Life in an Amazon warehouse (or "fulfillment center," as the company calls them) involves both of those things, and many more. In 2016, author James Bloodworth went undercover in an Amazon warehouse to research for a book and soon discovered that the job was so hectic that he didn't have enough time to eat or drink properly. The atmosphere reminded him of prison, and the airport-style security checks and oppressive, point-based management added to the image. Some of the employees even peed in bottles and left them on the shelves because the performance targets were so high that they didn't have time to take a bathroom break.

While Amazon denies many of Bloodworth's claims and has since stopped using the employment agency that hired him due to its questionable policies, other warehouse workers have repeated the writer's claims. According to multiple reports by Wired, Business Insider, the Guardian, and Newsweek, warehouse employees still urinate in bottles and even trash cans due to time constraints. The workers also say that many of the problems Bloodworth reported persist: The targets are too high, surveillance is constant, the pay is inadequate, and workplace injuries are depressingly common.

Bezos’s ventures are by now so large and varied that it is difficult to truly comprehend the nature of his empire, much less the end point of his ambitions.

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

I have never heard Bezos referred to as a "saint".  He's obviously not dumb, however.

Locating a company in a lower-tax area is not a crime......I'm sure his shareholders appreciate whatever it takes to maintain .a better bottom line.

So while we're at it, let's villify the banks and credit card companies which for years have headquartered in Delaware  and Charlotte due to lower taxes.

Let's also villify the  many Americans who are flocking to homes in lower-tax areas.

I''m amazed that this kind of financially practical  move by individuals or huge corporations could be criticized.

Have you read anything about the heavy outflow of people and businesses from high-tax New York and New Jersey?  They're bailing out.

I know Amazon is a big job-creator, and we could use more of those.  Tens of thousands of people will be employed in just one of the new sites that Amazon is building in the Wash DC area ---They are running into the same high prices and high property and income taxes that I couldn't wait to  move away from.

Amazon has or will build new facilities in Georgia, and those new jobs,   income taxes  to be paid by employees,  and corporate taxes to be paid  by Amazon will be most welcome there.  Georgia and its economy can use the money.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@novamc1 wrote:

I have never heard Bezos referred to as a "saint".  He's obviously not dumb, however.

Locating a company in a lower-tax area is not a crime......I'm sure his shareholders appreciate whatever it takes to maintain .a better bottom line.

So while we're at it, let's villify the banks and credit card companies which for years have headquartered in Delaware  and Charlotte due to lower taxes.

Let's also villify the  many Americans who are flocking to homes in lower-tax areas.

I''m amazed that this kind of financially practical  move by individuals or huge corporations could be criticized.

Have you read anything about the heavy outflow of people and businesses from high-tax New York and New Jersey?  They're bailing out.

I know Amazon is a big job-creator, and we could use more of those.  Tens of thousands of people will be employed in just one of the new sites that Amazon is building in the Wash DC area ---They are running into the same high prices and high property and income taxes that I couldn't wait to  move away from.

Amazon has or will build new facilities in Georgia, and those new jobs,   income taxes  to be paid by employees,  and corporate taxes to be paid  by Amazon will be most welcome there.  Georgia and its economy can use the money.

Let's not compare apples to oranges....and even huge conglomarates like MaBell couldn't escape anti-trust laws like Amazon....

Georgia can dream on---- thats what NY thought about new facilities there.....read the articles on the reality...  The agreement to lure Amazon to Long Island City, Queens, had stirred intense debate in New York about the use of public subsidies to entice wealthy companies, create a rise in the cost of living in gentrifying neighborhoods, and the city’s very identity. Amazon canceled its plans to build an expansive corporate campus in New York City after facing an unexpectedly fierce backlash from lawmakers, activists and union leaders, who contended that a tech giant did not deserve nearly $3 billion in incentives. 

And as far as "saint" I used that term since many people easily overlook Bezo's many faults particularly about the treatment of employeesand and seem far more concerned about the fast delivery of their purchases and only seem to be focused on that one aspect of Amazon and Bezos....

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”