Honored Contributor

Re: 😯 Jeff Bezos 😯

[ Edited ]

@KKJ wrote:

@pdlinda wrote:

@Free2be  That he didn''t factor into his financial planning taking care of ALL of his employees, from those lowest on the earning scale to lower-level executives (the upper-level execs are already taken care of) is simply beyond my comprehension.  How much more of a SUCCESS would this individual have if he had shared his wealth with his excellent employees.  The CS team, whom I deal with frequently (I am a huge customer lately due to the pandemic) are simply A-#1!!  Also, his logistics delivery team.  Simply superb.  That these people are not given stock options/bonuses/significant financial compensation from all his billions speaks more about his greed than his business acumen.  I simply am completely bewildered at how his mind works.  I don't "get it."

That these people are not given stock options/bonuses/significant financial compensation....

How do you know they aren't?   I can't stand when people have so much disdain for wealthy people and accuse all CEO's of being greedy.  Many have worked hard to get where they are and do give to charity.

@KKJ 

I dont think it has anything to do with a disdain for the wealthy....It's more about poor working conditions and wages for employees while he makes his billions, also destroying and putting competitors out of business because of his unfair pricing games, Amazon has lots of security breaches you'd think he would take some of his money and fix it (check out post #6 in the Apple Scam topic where she talks about Amazon), also google it and check out how much his company pays in taxes......So now anti-trust suits and employees forming unions comes along and he bails out of that and hangs around to okay a few  company decisions...Doesn't sound like someone that should be given accolades and a halo.  I'm all for success stories and people making money due to their hard work, along as that wealth is shared with the worker bee employees that helped make that possible, instead of some CEO hanging on to the majority of it....... 

And one of Bezos appointed Amazon Executives in an interview insinuated that they rely on the customers being a bit naive (aka "stupid") by always assuming Amazon always has the best price when thats not the case...That came from the horses mouth!!! They will lower a price on one item to bet a competitor, but raise prices on lots of other items to make up for it...While some retailers do this on a few items...Amazon does it on thousands of their items to drive competitors out of business ..COMPARISON SHOP FOLKS!!!  This is why I dont like Bezos and his company!!!  And less competition means higher prices for us all..!!!  And think of jobs lost too!

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Honored Contributor

Don't like AMAZON...I use it for 1 product and when I can buy it locally, I will.

Esteemed Contributor

The world will see what Jeff does in next. 

Honored Contributor

I have no feelings one way or the other about the man, but I do dispute that the opinion of unions that one poster posited.

Unions certainly have their problems just as companies do. But I can't imaging their not existing.

Does anyone remember their history about the horrible crackdown when people wanted to band together for some iota of power?It is an ugly, ugly blot on our country.

Thank goodness they survived so that their members are not totally dependant on the whims of employers. They have a say. They cannot be fired without just cause, as opposed to nonunion "at will" employees. I could go on. :-)

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

Unions don't exist like they used to when the U.S. had more heavy industries in need of better worker  safety and treatment. 

This union topic is getting a little off the original thread topic, BUT...

Check out the subject on the internet........ can't post the links but here are just a few of the items to be found on the subject if searching more about union memberhship today.............

<<One reason why union membership may have declined is that 2019 was the first full year since the Supreme Court’s decision in the Janus case. The court ruled that it was unconstitutional to allow unions to require collective bargaining fees from public employees — a decision that was seen as a major blow for unions and their budgets.>>

<<Union participation is still declining despite worker strikes...>>  (from the Washington Post.)

<<If a state is a right to work state, this means that there are laws that allow residents to work without being forced to join a union or pay union fees. Many times, unions try to convince employers to sign contracts which would require all employees to pay union fees to be employed.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

Addendum to previous post about union membership:

From the National Conference of State Legislatures website:

Under right-to-work laws, states have the authority to determine whether workers can be required to join a labor union to get or keep a job.

Currently, 27 states and Guam have given workers a choice when it comes to union membership. Labor unions still operate in those states, but workers cannot be compelled to become members as a requirement of their job. Kentucky became the 27th right-to-work state when it enacted HB 1 on Jan. 9, 2017. 

Honored Contributor

My hope is that the demonizing of unions will decrease as we move forward.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Trusted Contributor

@suzyQ3 wrote:

My hope is that the demonizing of unions will decrease as we move forward.

@suzyQ3 not when they are political and drive policy from the huge donations.  In addition, I'm not ok with the many teachers refusing to go back to work even after being vaccinated..  

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@suzyQ3 

Where's the "demoniizing"?

Nothing but history and facts posted by me.

I worked  18 years for the federal agency closest to worker rights/ health & safety and labor-management issues.  I just happen to know a lot about them and don't mind talking about the issues without getting agitated about them.

History is history.  Laws are laws.  Unions have written part of that history--good or bad--themselves.  Workers have been known to have their own strong opinions for or against, as well as a role in that history.

Honored Contributor

He didn't say he was retiring or leaving Amazon.  I believe they said he would still be Chairman.  I think he's going to use some of his hundreds of billions of dollars to develop the next innovation.  The thing we can't envision now but will grow into the thing we cannot imagine life without.  Like Amazon.  I think back to a time when Amazon was only an online book seller and I cannot believe what that grew into in just a couple of decades.