Honored Contributor

Re: 😯 Jeff Bezos 😯

All I know is this is one time (well 2x's) should have listened to my younger son.

The day we bought his first apple computer (the original one) he said "Mom take $1000 or $500 and buy stock".  No way I had another in college and 1 going -- like I had money to spare😉

Then comes Amazon tells me same thing he bought into company.  Spouse didn't think good idea who would "shop that way"...

well, we'd be on easy street if for once I listened to my kid😩.

Of course, he did well with both he bought a nice house.

🙂

Honored Contributor

I never shopped at Amazon except for books until the pandemic.  

@homedecor1 

I made a some bucks on Microsoft stock years ago when it kept splitting!

Respected Contributor

Jeff Bezos's level of wealth is nothing less than obscene many times over.  

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

I remember wayyyyy back in the 1990's when he was a guest on Oprah's show.

He told about his idea to market books online that could be puchased cheaper than the bookstore and shipped right to your door.

Why oh why did I not think to buy stock in this new venture at the time???????????

Maybe he can hang with Elon and his buds and travel in space, perhaps to the moon or Mars.

"Justice will not be served until those who are unaffected are as outraged as those who are." BF
Trusted Contributor

@Free2be  That he didn''t factor into his financial planning taking care of ALL of his employees, from those lowest on the earning scale to lower-level executives (the upper-level execs are already taken care of) is simply beyond my comprehension.  How much more of a SUCCESS would this individual have if he had shared his wealth with his excellent employees.  The CS team, whom I deal with frequently (I am a huge customer lately due to the pandemic) are simply A-#1!!  Also, his logistics delivery team.  Simply superb.  That these people are not given stock options/bonuses/significant financial compensation from all his billions speaks more about his greed than his business acumen.  I simply am completely bewildered at how his mind works.  I don't "get it."

Highlighted
Respected Contributor

@Mz iMac 

Yea I saw the story about this too tonight, however, he is staying on - in a different capacity. Yes - drawing a paycheck... from the net:

Jeff Bezos may be stepping down as Amazon CEO, but he's not going anywhere — in fact, he'll still be involved in major, "one-way door" decisions at the company. 

Bezos, 57, announced on Tuesday that in the third quarter of 2021, he'll move into a new role as executive chairman of Amazon's board. Andy Jassy, the current CEO of AWS, will take his place. 

Respected Contributor

@pdlinda wrote:

@Free2be  That he didn''t factor into his financial planning taking care of ALL of his employees, from those lowest on the earning scale to lower-level executives (the upper-level execs are already taken care of) is simply beyond my comprehension.  How much more of a SUCCESS would this individual have if he had shared his wealth with his excellent employees.  The CS team, whom I deal with frequently (I am a huge customer lately due to the pandemic) are simply A-#1!!  Also, his logistics delivery team.  Simply superb.  That these people are not given stock options/bonuses/significant financial compensation from all his billions speaks more about his greed than his business acumen.  I simply am completely bewildered at how his mind works.  I don't "get it."

That these people are not given stock options/bonuses/significant financial compensation....

How do you know they aren't?   I can't stand when people have so much disdain for wealthy people and accuse all CEO's of being greedy.  Many have worked hard to get where they are and do give to charity.

Respected Contributor

Jeff Bezos is an exremely smart, creative person who has developed many business projects and interests that will probably keep him busy for a long time.

Amazon hasn't been his only focus for years, so what's new?

Anyone who has created and grown a well-oiled machine as big as Amazon probably didn't achieve that by mistreating or underpaying his employees.

Until I see an employee survey indicating overwhelmingly that he's a greedy tyrant and has an unhappy workforce, I would reserve judgment on his character as a person or CEO.

Honored Contributor

It is true that most companies will not treat employees good and give them fair wages until employees join an union.  Not sure why Walmart employees do not go that route.  I talk to employees when I go to walmart.  They rarely have a consistant shift.  Big companies can do better.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

Union membership doesn't suddenly create a better life for members.

The folks who stand the most to gain in a union can sometimes be the leadership and the organization executives, who live off of and have, at times,   corruptly abused  money collected from members' dues.

The history of labor-management relations in the U.S. is quite interesting and sometimes disturbing.  To the extent that it has promoted safer working conditions in certain industries, that's probably a good thing.   Not sure that Amazon and Walmart are unsafe workplaces, but of course I wouldn't know firsthand.  

Surely they're not like auto manufacturing in the early 1900s, or the coal mining industry.  Downright hazardous!

Not every worker wants a union to collect part of his pay in dues and  decide whether the worker should one day go to work as usual and get paid---or go out on strike and walk a picket line.

I should add how much I resented the "association" that I was forced to join and pay dues to.  People at the top of the organization chose which national and state political candidates to support with my money.  We members had no voice in that decision at all.  Labor unions do the same thing.