Respected Contributor

Why should the tax payers support him in a cage 23 hours a day? Just execute the SOB...

Trusted Contributor

As liberal is the state of Colorado is, I am amazed they allow the Death Penalty. Even if he gets the DP, he will languish in prison for years on appeal.

Honored Contributor
Holmes is so tortured mentally that he would probably be okay with the death penalty. He can't have much quality of life continuously pumped full of appearance-of-sanity drugs for the trial.

Whether I think life without parole is "worse" depends for me on the person. If they previously highly valued freedom and individuality and have never been incarcerated before, I think it might be worse. But for someone like Chas Manson who'd already spent half his life in custody of some sort before the murders, he's probably been happy as a clam in jail.
Life without Mexican food is no life at all
Trusted Contributor

Now the same jury must endure a onth ong trial to decide a penalty----life in prison or death.    If they decide death, there will be many appeals due to his mental state and SCOTUS' stance on no death penalty for mentally impaired people.    He was judged legally sane because he planned the murders.    And no evaluator difinitively stated he was insane.    

He will stay locked up for the rest of his life, either way it is judged.    It is best that he is left in a cell with no more publicity for him.    If he is not in solitary, the other inmates will get him.

Respected Contributor

I don't think he'll get the death penalty because he told the police how to diffuse the bombs in his apartment preventing more deaths and injury.  That means something.  

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/10/17/james-holmes-bombs-apartment-aurora-police_n_4116828.html

Honored Contributor

Holmes was taking Sertraline and Clonazepam coupled with alcohol (several empty alcohol containers were found in his apartment).

I don't recall Holmes being treated with any other medication and the diagnosis of schizophrenia may or may not have been accurate.

Somebody can correct me if I am wrong about the diagnosis. 

"" Compassion is a verb."-Thich Nhat Hanh
Honored Contributor

The insanity plea has always seemed like an oxymoron to me.  Maybe I'm too logical!

Except in the case of self defense,  if you kill someone, aren't you insane?   Does a sane person go around killing people?  If you kill a bunch of strangers aren't you insane?  If you are insane, you still killed people, so you are guilty - right?

It seems we should have an insane but guilty charge.

"Animals are not my whole world, but they have made my world whole" ~ Roger Caras
Respected Contributor

He told the police he was having a psychotic episode.  But, if true then he must have had a lot of them because it took a lot of preparation to do what he did.  

Respected Contributor

@Drythe wrote:

The insanity plea has always seemed like an oxymoron to me.  Maybe I'm too logical!

Except in the case of self defense,  if you kill someone, aren't you insane?   Does a sane person go around killing people?  If you kill a bunch of strangers aren't you insane?  If you are insane, you still killed people, so you are guilty - right?

not necessarily................we train soldiers to kill, to kill effectively and kill as many enemy as possible..............I wouldn't consider any of them insane...............................................raven

We're not in Kansas anymore ToTo
Honored Contributor

@raven-blackbird wrote:

@Drythe wrote:

not necessarily................we train soldiers to kill, to kill effectively and kill as many enemy as possible..............I wouldn't consider any of them insane...............................................raven

Raven, I'm sure you get my point.  Soldiers kill in defence of their country.  I'm speaking of  random killing of strangers without provocation on their part.

"Animals are not my whole world, but they have made my world whole" ~ Roger Caras