Super Contributor

I've read almost all of the Jack Reacher books and love them.

Just a short time ago I saw the movie trailer with Tom Cruise in the title role. It just doesn't compute when Jack Reacher (from the books) is 6 ft 5 in and weighs 250.

I'm almost at the end of a Reacher book and seeing Cruise made me laugh. Did he buy the book and cast himself? One movie I won't be seeing.

Grow old my body but stay young my heart
Honored Contributor

I just saw the movie this afternoon.  It was OK, but very predictable.  I don't care a lot for Tom Cruise, don't dislike him, just doesn't 'move me'. 

It was very predictable.  Had a lot of action and (as usual, he gets beaten up).  It does have a very capable woman in the move....

Typical of all of his movies, there is one love scene in it, which doesn't matter to me, I just think it's interesting.

Honored Contributor

The Jack Reacher movies are based on books by Lee Child. It is not a typical Tom Cruise movie as he was woefully miscast.

He was picked so the movie would make money. He is too small to play Jack Reacher. My choice would have 

been Vincent D'Onofrio.

Valued Contributor
As a loyal fan of Lee Childs' Reacher books, I was taken aback and offended that Tom Cruise was cast as Reacher. Miscasting, indeed. Will NOT see any of the Reacher movies.
Trusted Contributor

Normally I don't really care about sticking to every detail of a book, and I've seen the first movie at least 20 times.  Along with A Good Year, The Holiday (I really dislike three of the leads but love he movie), and a few others, it's always in our rotation.  

Read it! New England Journal of Medicine—May 21, 2020
Universal Masking in Hospitals in the Covid-19 Era

“We know that wearing a mask outside health care facilities offers little, if any, protection from infection.
Honored Contributor

@Blahblahvampemer wrote:

Normally I don't really care about sticking to every detail of a book, and I've seen the first movie at least 20 times.  Along with A Good Year, The Holiday (I really dislike three of the leads but love he movie), and a few others, it's always in our rotation.  

You've seen One Shot 20 times?

Honored Contributor

I feel sorry for Lee Child.  Tom Cruise is delusional.

Valued Contributor
@proudlyfromNJ - are you referring to Lee Child novels? The Reacher books/movies?
Honored Contributor

@harcon wrote:

I've read almost all of the Jack Reacher books and love them.

Just a short time ago I saw the movie trailer with Tom Cruise in the title role. It just doesn't compute when Jack Reacher (from the books) is 6 ft 5 in and weighs 250.

I'm almost at the end of a Reacher book and seeing Cruise made me laugh. Did he buy the book and cast himself? One movie I won't be seeing.

My husband feels your pain.  He can't stand it either!

Honored Contributor

@sassenach1 wrote:
@proudlyfromNJ - are you referring to Lee Child novels? The Reacher books/movies?

@sassenach1 Hi, yes, I was.